The Number One

Fang didn't know what to expect from a villain gathering. While heroes had meetings and parties and barbeques, villains had what people call a "get together", with the only rules consisting of not destroying the place... much.

Being one of the top-ranking villains, he had complete access to this place and event. It was held annually on 31 December, the last day of the year. And with the three events that he had participated, there were always new faces and the old ones disappearing into the wind.

It was held underground, in the shape of a concert or a free-for-all party. Villains hogged the bars, hot-tubs and snack areas. Lone villains remained in corners. Fights broke out in every corner with a gathering crowd.

Among all of them, groups of pirates seemed to dominate the rest of them.

Fang was one of the oldest members in this event, despite being younger than everyone else. They knew to respect him and stay out of his way, even with his small size. Compared to everyone else, he looked like a mushroom in a forest.

He had managed to fight his way onto his current status, even with his abomination of an older brother. Kaizo was the one that drove him to become a villain. Ever since their parents' unspoken disappearance, Kaizo had been nothing but cruel and cold towards him, a complete 180-degree change before it.

Then one day, he ran away. No matter where he ran, he was only recognized as "Captain Kaizo's Little Brother". He was permanently fixated under Kaizo's shadow. And the only way to escape his shadow is to become his own shadow, by becoming a villain.

His journey of embracing evil was a painful one. He lost fights. He got hurt. Even with his Perforation powers, he still lost. Did he give up? No, he didn't. He pushed himself harder, taught himself to be merciless towards his victims.

Fang stood where he was now today by pain, endurance and his wits. He held it in. He took the pain and rejuvenated it to his power. A few years ago, he had killed someone, unknowingly that it was a power sphere hunter that had captured a power sphere named Ochobot. The power sphere granted him Shadow Manipulation, where he could manipulate shadows to create monsters or fuse with them.

And after that, he never saw the power sphere again.

"Watch it, punk!" One of the pirate villains, Captain Vargoba barked in the crowd in front of Fang.

"I – I'm sorry!" a kid with brown hair stuttered.

Fang snorted and turned away. Weaklings. They never know where they truly stand in this universe. He sat on one of the barstools, ordering his favourite donuts as he waited for the event to start.

Minutes later, the lights snapped shut, basking everyone in darkness. Then a spotlight shone on the round platform suspended in mid-air, which resembled a sole boxing ring in the middle of the stadium.

Fang rose from his seat and shoved himself to the front row. Bago-go, the commentator, stood in the platform, taking in the villainous glares that was directed from every pair of eyes in the area. Which to say, was a lot.

"Welcome to the annual get-together, fellow villains!" Bago-go announced enthusiastically. "To start off, let's begin the rankings that we have accumulated over this year!"

A holographic board appeared over him, with five names and pictures rolling endlessly, until the fifth one stopped, revealing a picture of an Indian human boy with the title: The Food Critic.

Fang snorted. What has this villain society been reduced to.

"May we welcome the Food Critic!" Bago-go announced.