Second Chance

Petir sat in the darkness.

Restrained.

Isolated.

He was treated as if he was a monster, and they weren't wrong to do so. His white hair and black streak displayed his anomalies, his mark of villainy. He was only able to forever remain on that metal chair, hands behind his back in metal restraints that holstered his arms up to his elbow. The restraint was attached to the ground by a chain, his feet tied to the ground with more straps.

Most of all, he wasn't allowed to speak. They'd shoved a metal mask on his mouth, rendering him voiceless. They'd kept him alive by injecting nutrients in his bloodstream, but he never had any physical meals or drinks.

Petir's cell was dark. There was no light, no windows; only the faint red glow in every corner – surveillance cameras that tracked his every move.

He was alone.

Helpless.

Silenced.

How long has it been? A month? A year? He could never tell. Other than the occasional guard giving him his god-knows-how-long dose of yummy chemicals. Yay.

There was one thing clear.

His team wasn't allowed to see him.

At least up to this day.

The door to his cell opened. Hell, he didn't even know that there was a door. He thought they'd shoved him here and sealed him in like a box and buried him 12 feet under.

Petir squinted his eyes. He wasn't used to light, not after all this time in his darkness solitary.

"Petir?"

He looked up. He could make out a silhouette standing by the door, with shadows of guards hovering outside holding weapons.

"Careful, he's a hazard," one of the guards cracked.

Petir ignored it. It's not rare for the guards to make fun of his situation.

He could barely recognize this person. The teenage male didn't say anything, only embracing him awkwardly as Petir was still tied to the chair. He sobbed silently as he held Petir close, the distinct smell of home wafting off him.

Home. Petir had almost forgotten what it felt like to be home.

"It's – it's me, Tanah," he croaked. "Do you still remember me? I'm part of your team."

Petir glanced at him with scarlet eyes. He nodded lightly, seeing as he wasn't able to speak.

"You're coming home," Tanah whispered. "We missed you so much."

Petir was led outside his cell. Under interrogation and critical scans, he was returned his personal belongings. However, he was to wear power restrictors around his wrists. In any attempt to remove them, he would be pursued immediately.

He glanced at his old clothes. They were more than his everyday choice of wear. They were symbolic. They represented his place in his previous team, but not anymore. He had betrayed them. He didn't deserve to wear the cap. Not in this condition.

Putting on the white, sleeveless vest, he hurried outside as Tanah had eagerly awaited his arrival. The only reason that they let him out was probably because he was going to live with six other powered individuals that'll literally surveillance his every move, even if they don't realize it.

"Come on." Tanah didn't question his choice of wear. He can do that later. "Let's get you back home."

Despite having his mask removed, Petir merely nodded as a response. He couldn't bring himself to meet Tanah's gaze, or anyone's, for the matter. He was afraid. He was scared to see the disappointment in his eyes.

The moment Tanah swept into the house, it was like usual. Daun, Api and Angin were hanging out in front of the TV; Cahaya was cooped up in his room reading encyclopaedias; and Air was sleeping on his water ball.

"Hey, guys!" Tanah called. Everyone turned to him. Cahaya poked his head out from his room. Air cracked open an eye. He rarely announced his arrival so enthusiastically. "Look who's back!"

He gestured for Petir to enter. Petir glanced at him, before revealing himself before his former team.

As soon as his presence was clear, there were three perceptions. Cahaya dropped his book. Air's bubble popped. The troublemakers had a more straightforward response. The moment Petir coughed in awkwardness, they tackled him into a bear hug screaming.

"Petir!" Angin shrieked, eyes welling. "You're finally back! What happened to your hair?"

"Yeah!" Daun agreed. "You didn't bring us to your vacation? Will you bring us next time?"

Tanah dragged them off him. Petir was utterly confused by their words. Why weren't they questioning him regarding his crimes?

How can they treat him as one of their own?

Tanah grabbed Petir's wrist, dragging him past everyone else. Dodging inquiries like a professional, he closed the door to his room and locked it.

"I told them you're on a vacation," Tanah explained when he was sure no one was eavesdropping. "They don't know what you did."

Petir looked down to his boots. Why would Tanah do this? There was no point in hiding.

"It's your second chance," Tanah continued. "Start over. You may not have your powers, but you have them. You have me. We're here for you."