Broken Mirrors [3]

As soon as Thunderstorm stepped out of the carriage, cheers and gasps of wonder erupted from both sides of the aisle. Solar was waiting by the podium, a priest stationed to seal the deal.

Nobody had seen someone so beautifully cruel. He was cold but warm. He was hot but feminine. It was also his time to reconsider his workout routine because it led him to a slim body similar to a female's.

Music burst from the orchestra. Rose petals scattered across the air like snowdrops, following his path towards the king as he walked.

The people were absolutely silent. It was as if a breath would ruin the perfectionism of the moment. They watched as the red-eyed male-bride strode towards the front. Movements fluid, sharp and graceful.

Thunderstorm faced Solar. The king gave him a smile, but Thunderstorm didn't return it. They were used to the one-sided interaction.

The priest silently consulted Solar for permission.

Solar nodded.

* * *

Blaze, Quake and Cyclone were led towards the peripheral of the wedding stage. They were close to Thunderstorm, but so far away. It was only a few feet.

Cyclone couldn't have regretted anything more. He'd blurted words that hurt Thunderstorm straight to the core without thinking. He wanted Thunderstorm's forgiveness, but something changed. He had watched his friend walk down the aisle like any other day, straight towards the king who would take him from them forever.

"Today we are gathered here for a joyous occasion..." the priest started, deep voice resonating through the throne room. "... between the wed of King Solar and Thunderstorm..."

"I can't watch this," Cyclone whispered, squeezing his eyes shut.

Quake bit his lip. "Me neither."

Blaze glanced at them, but could do nothing to ease their pain.

"If you make this oath, your lives will forever be intertwined until the both of you pass on..."

Quake felt cold sweat trickle down his face. This was the key moment. This was the final moment of Thunderstorm's free will.

"Bring the ceremonial dagger!"

Quake and Cyclone's eyes widened as the gold chest a guard brought. A ruby-bladed dagger was presented to the king, who raised his palm above a gold dish.

"Do you accept Thunderstorm as your Queen?"

Murmurs echoed from the crowd. Even Thunderstorm looked mildly uncomfortable.

Solar shrugged sheepishly. Still, he raised the dagger and slit his palm, letting his blood drip onto the gold. "I do."

The priest turned to Thunderstorm, who was staring at Solar's blood in the gold dish.

"Do you, Thunderstorm, take King Solar as your King?"

Solar raised the dagger for the assassin, eyes almost seemed like they were pleading him to take him into his life.

Thunderstorm didn't hesitate. He slit his palm and let his blood drip onto Solar's.

"I do."

Cyclone and Quake's heart sank like a stone. Thunderstorm was gone forever, just like that.

"I now pronounce you..." The priest faltered. "King and... Queen?"

Solar wiped his blood on a cloth that was readied for this occasion. "Whatever."