My Prince

Fang knew his crush was very one-sided, especially when his crush was the prince of his land. He was only a general, serving as one of the prince's bodyguards and head of his personal army.

He and Boboiboy were close. They acted like best friends rather than a superior and his men. They would sneak around the castle labyrinth after curfew and hide from patrols. They would prank his brother, Kaizo, the king's bodyguard and run when he gets hit with a flour bomb.

Neither Fang nor Boboiboy favoured politics and customs. He could always see the brunette prince hide his yawns and his dozes during political meetings with false swift sneezes and coughs. By the end of every meeting, both of them were bored to tears. Sometimes literally.

When Fang first arrived at the palace, his skills were put to the test and he was assigned immediately to the prince's private guard, courtesy of his and Kaizo's relationship. At first, he was wary of the son of the king. He'd heard rumours of the prince being hidden in the palace, with the citizens oblivious of his existence. Only the people within the castle's walls knew of him. This was probably why Boboiboy was so open to friendship when he met Fang, who was a boy his age.

They didn't start out so smooth. Boboiboy acted like a three-year-old. A stubborn three-year-old. When he ate, he pestered at Fang to sit down and eat with him. Fang promptly refused, because it would give Kaizo a heart attack if he sees.

Boboiboy threw him questions that he had no reaction time to answer. What were the villages like? What do people his age do during the day? Are they happy? Can they go wherever they liked?

"Your majesty," Fang would always interject harshly, "I am not obligated to engage in a regular conversation with royalty."

Boboiboy crossed his arms, stopping in his tracks, forcing Fang to stop too. He told Fang to turn and face him.

"I said to call me by my name." Boboiboy frowned.

"I believe I cannot grant your request, your highness."

"This isn't a request! This is an order!"

"That is an order I have to ignore, your highness."

"Also, I'm bound to inherit the throne in the future. How am I supposed to rule if I don't know how my citizens live their lives?"

"There are scholars to assist you, your highness." Fang was already itching to punch him in the gut. "And I am no teacher."

"I'm not telling you to teach me. I'm asking you to tell me," Boboiboy continued, "as a friend!"

"I have no power to be your friend, your highness," Fang repeated like he was coaxing a child. "Your majesty, we are late for your dinner."

Boboiboy sighed as Fang turned around.

"Whatever." Boboiboy adjusted the golden ground on his untamed fluffy hair. His hair had posed a challenge for the maids to tame. "I eat alone, anyway. It's not like anyone would accompany me."

That was how they communicated for months. At least, that was until the assassination attempt. The assassin's main target was not the prince, but the king and queen themselves. Due to Boboiboy's crown and his appearance, he was pinned instantly as a future threat. Assassins do not take future threats kindly.

Fang drew his sword. "Your majesty, run to the guards!"

"I told you not to call me that!" Boboiboy snapped.

Instead of running, he tore the crown from his hair and threw it across the room. It sailed across the room and hit a set of armour. It toppled sideways, taking down the armour next to it. It caused a chain reaction, causing the long line of metal suits to collapse. Not only did he give them a distraction, at the end of the corridor, there was a sword on display. The last armour landed on the podium and sent the sword flying towards them.

Seeing that it was about to collide with the assassin, Boboiboy wasted no time. He bolted towards the killer and leapt over him, catching the sword in mid air as he threw his body backwards. Using the momentum, he swung his blade to disarm the poorly-stanced assassin. Once he landed on the ground, he swung his right calf to purge the wind from the man's lungs, sending him across the room and landing into the pile of armour.

Fang felt his jaw dislocate inhuman standards.

"Are you alright?" Boboiboy asked him.

"You — I'm supposed to protect you! What if you got hurt? I'll get punished!" Fang fumed, losing his cool. "Why are you so damn reckless, Boboiboy?"

He didn't seem all sad that he was yelled at. Boboiboy beamed so bright that he could rival the sun itself. "You called me by my name! Yay!"

As if a love arrow had run through his heart like dropping a flash bomb, Fang would later regret that impulsive slip of his wording.

Kaizo ran over from the throne room. He checked on the prince, the condition on his crown and the assassin's true identity. It was no surprise, judging from his lack of skill, that the killer was declared to be none other than the infamous failure of a villain, Adu-du.

Yet Kaizo didn't check up on Fang. He was standing right there, but Kaizo didn't even bat an eye at him. He only had eyes for the prince, donning the crown on his head with care that he never showed Fang.

A bitter bile risen to his throat. Of course, Fang was not Kaizo's priority. Never was, never will be. Especially not when they're in a palace with a duty to protect the royal family.

Later that night, he left into the labyrinth. He hugged his knees, trying to force back tears that threatened to fall. All his life, he was neglected by his brother. Ever since their parents were murdered, Kaizo had trained hard to enter the palace. He never returned, only received letters that assigned him to different trainers across the country to train him. To toughen him up.

His trainers were all just like Kaizo. They did not have time to establish a normal relationship, caring only for his improvement. He pushed himself to his utmost limit. He pushed his limit's limit. Yet no one acknowledged the pain he was experiencing. His demons that were threatening to control his thoughts. He always forced them down, but he couldn't force the tears back.

He just wanted someone to save him from himself.

Like always, Boboiboy snuck out of his room. How he did it when there are guards patrolling his wing every minute? Well, it's a relatively simple solution. He escaped through the ventilation system that served as an air freshener and a vessel to view objects even through walls. In short, he dropkicked himself out his room's window.

Since young, he was hidden from the outside world. He'd never met children his age, only teachers that would train him or shove useless information in his mind. He learned everything alone. He did everything by himself. He had his three meals, tea and supper alone; he learned alone, and most of all, his presence was a deathly secret kept from the rest of the kingdom. No one could know the king had an heir.

He rarely had people to talk to. He couldn't even see his parents often. They were always in different countries discussing peace treaties or tending to the countrymen. They had no time for him, and there was no place in his heart for them. To him, they were just people who had forced the title of the prince on him. He didn't have his own free will. His time was weaved into a tapestry, fixed, permanent, and planned out for him.

That was until Fang. Boboiboy was delighted to befriend him, even if he was hard to approach. He could see the secret smiles that Fang had whenever he messed up or pouted in some way. He thought Boboiboy didn't catch it, but oh boy, he was wrong.

Before he knew it, Boboiboy found himself craving for Fang's presence every night.