CHAPTER 7.

Still frozen in place with my pupils dilated, I stare at him, my jaw almost dropping to the floor when Austin says "Cassy, meet my brother, Ben"

It's as if I'm staring at a ghost, a ghost from my past. The last time I saw Ben was when I went to his apartment and found him with another girl. And the last time I heard from him was when he told me he was leaving Sydney. It's only been months but it feels like ages ago.

Ben sends a half-smile my way "we've met" he apprises Austin. I still don't utter a single word.

"Really?" Austin questions in wonder "wow! Small world"

I try opening my mouth to speak. But no words flow out.

Ben looks at me for a moment then says to Austin "dad said I should tell you to meet up with him at the office"

"Did he say what he wants?" Austin asks, taking his car keys from the coffee table.

Ben shakes his head "Nah" his eyes return to me.

"Cass, it seems like our day will be cut short. How about we do something tomorrow?" he proposes.

After a long moment, I speak in an undertone "that's fine"

"I'll drop you at your..."

"Cassy, can I please talk to you?" Ben cuts into Austin's words.

My mind begins buzzing with voices

"Say no"

"Don't give him a time of a day"

"Leave"

"Hear him out"

"Tell him to fuck off"

"You and Austin are friends now which means you will see Ben whether you like it or not, so I suggest that you hear him out and bury the old hatchet. You don't have to be friends with him, just be on good terms"

"I still say you should tell him to fuck off"

"Make peace"

Listening to what sounds like the voice of reason at the moment, I mutter "yeah, we can talk" and shift my eyes to Austin "you can go"