CHAPTER 11.

I walk into Austin's penthouse and shut the door behind me as a cool breeze clIngs to my skin "Austin" I call out, walking over to the sliding door to close it before getting a glimpse of a light flickering from the corner of the balcony

I walk into Austin's penthouse and shut the door behind me as a cool breeze clIngs to my skin "Austin" I call out, walking over to the sliding door to close it before getting a glimpse of a light flickering from the corner of the balcony. As I walk out, I spot him seated on the floor scrolling through pictures. It only takes me a second to notice that it's pictures of him and Ray together.

"Hey" I sit next to him, skimming the pictures as he continues scrolling "penny for your thoughts" my eyes shift between his face and his phone screen. After a long silent moment, I rest my head on his shoulder letting him know that he doesn't have to talk about it if he doesn't want to.

"It feels like my heart has just been ripped out of my chest" he whispers and I look up at his tearful eyes "but every second I feel it beating I'm reminded that it's still there. And I just want to rip it out of me because every single pound fucking hurts" my chest tugs at his words "I can't even put what I'm feeling into words. It's as if I can't function without him" his pain pours out in uncontrollable tears.

I pull him into my embrace whispering in his ear "I'm so sorry"

"It all makes sense" he weeps and I tighten my hold "I mean the fact that we have been dating for two years and he hasn't introduced me to anyone in his life spoke volumes but because of my love for him, I kept finding reasons to why he hadn't"

"I'm so stupid...so naive"

Shaking my head, I pull back, examining his face "you aren't stupid for opening your heart and allowing yourself to love someone. Choosing to love is one of the bravest things to do that's why not everyone can do it" he breaks eye contact "you aren't stupid" I repeat "you're an amazing person and it's a pity that Ray didn't see that" we lock eyes again and I tell him the exact words he said to me the night we met "you may feel like you're nothing and aren't worth it right now because you are hurt and broken, but I want you to know that broken people are also beautiful"

He flashes a half-smile and I continue "even in your state of brokenness you ooze kindness and liveliness. I know that being taken for granted by someone you love can sometimes make you feel like building up a wall to protect yourself from getting hurt again because you're tired of feeling, but please don't. Remain this kind and loving. You're such a precious soul. Don't change" I hold his body firmly against mine, letting him know that everything will be okay.