CHAPTER 23.

The air feels crisp and refreshing as we walk along the hiking trail

The air feels crisp and refreshing as we walk along the hiking trail. The path unfolds naturally before us, beckoning us to escape and immerse ourselves in nature. With each step, I find myself glancing at Cassy, scanning her face to see if she's okay. However, each time my gaze lands on her, I sense the same emotions I noticed earlier in the morning. Something is clearly bothering her, and it reflects in her eyes. She seems absent-minded, and every time I ask her about it, there's a distant look in her eyes.

Choosing not to probe, I sense that Cassy might need more time to process her emotions before opening up. In an attempt to divert her thoughts, I casually mention, "Mum is still clueless." From the corner of my eyes, I catch a glimpse of her finally returning her attention to the present moment. Her eyes shift to me, along with her focus, but realizing she didn't hear what I just said, I add, "I still can't believe that Mum has no idea that Aunt Stac is planning a surprise party for her." The look in her eyes exudes gratitude that I'm providing a distraction from her thoughts.

"I'm glad she's oblivious," she says with a small smile. "It goes to show that she's good at planning surprises." In a matter of seconds, her thoughts drift back to where they were before. This time, I decide not to speak. I walk alongside her, allowing her to sink into her thoughts as we continue walking to the top.

Standing atop the mountain, the view is truly breathtaking. The world spreads out before us like a vast, living canvas, painted with the fiery hues of the sunset palette. The wind, a gentle companion, plays with my hair and carries the distant melody of birds in flight. The profound silence is interrupted only by the occasional rustle of leaves. It feels like the world is both vast and intimate, a paradoxical sensation that comes with being so close to the sky.

More worry floods me as I watch Cassy take in the top view with a distant gaze. One thing about my girl is that nature is her escape from reality and a way to lift her spirits. So, if being up here doesn't change the state of her mood, then that only means that whatever's weighing on her mind is something serious, something unavoidable.

I stand behind her, wrapping my arms around her, and I feel her relax at my touch. "This is beautiful," I whisper, resting my chin on her shoulder.

I wait for her to say something about the view, but she stays quiet. After a long silent moment, she speaks up, "Aunt Jane and Uncle Anthony are getting a divorce." Her voice is so soft that if I wasn't close to her, I might not have heard her.