CHAPTER 26.

The weight of helplessness sits heavy on me as I think back to what happened at Miss Handerson's birthday dinner

The weight of helplessness sits heavy on me as I think back to what happened at Miss Handerson's birthday dinner. It's like a heavy fog in my chest. Watching Blake go through that panic attack brought back memories of my own struggles with anxiety. I recognized the signs instantly, the shaky hands, the quickened breaths – all too familiar. Thanks to Eve, I learned how to navigate those moments, and I was able to use the same techniques to comfort him. I wish there was some quick fix, a swift remedy to heal his wounds and take his pain away. But reality is cruel, and such a remedy doesn't exist.

As soon I step into Blake's house, urgency grips me. Racing up the stairs to his room, I search every corner, desperately hoping to find him. Closets, bathrooms, balconies—each empty, intensifying his absence.

The images of his tearful face linger in my mind, haunting my every thought. Pulling out my phone, I dial his number repeatedly, each call met with the heart-wrenching emptiness of voicemail. Austin joins me in Blake's room, and I can't hold back the tears "His phone is off," my voice quivers.

"Cass," he whispers softly, enfolding me in his arms.

"I don't know what to do. I feel so helpless."

Jake, Eve, Tasha and Ray enter the room, their concern mirroring my own.

"Let's head out and look for him" Jake suggests and the collective decision propels us to the living room where we find Miss Handerson pacing anxiously, her worry palpable. Jake informs her of our plan, and she nods in agreement.

"Turner is tracking Blake's car" she informs us as we all rush out of the house "Let's split, I will call you once we get the location."

I shut the door for Eve after she enters Jake's car, and she turns to me "babe, are you not coming with us?"

"I'll drive with Mr. Turner. I want to be there when they find his location" she nods, and Jake reverses out of the driveway.

"I got the location" Mr. Turner says and I quickly step into the car together with Mrs. Turner and Miss Handerson.

During the drive, Mr. Turner's guilt surface "Meg, I'm sorry. Please don't give Rob a single penny, I will fix it. I promise"

"He would have come regardless. He has been keeping tabs on the boys," Miss Handerson tries to assure him that it's not his fault. Despite her reassurances, Mr. Turner's guilt persists as he tightens his grip on the steering wheel.