CHAPTER 8.

Precious flash on my phone screen for what feels like the fiftieth time

Precious flash on my phone screen for what feels like the fiftieth time. I decline the call. Before switching off my phone, I send a message to Jake letting him know I've booked into a hotel but I do not tell him the name of the hotel because he will mention it to Eve. And I know for a fact that Eve will tell Cassy who's the last person I want to see right now.

Recalling what happened before I left, I send another message to Ray, asking him if he's okay. When my message reflects as delivered, I switch off my phone and rest my head on the pillow, my mind traveling to Ray.

Why didn't he mention that he's gay?

Was I being ignorant or he was just good at hiding it?

Or was I such a bad friend that he didn't even feel like he could talk to me about it?

Who's Rissa?

Is she even really his girlfriend or it was all a lie to conceal the actual truth?

Now I can't help but wonder... do I know my best friend. Is it possible that all those years he posed to be someone he's not?

What else has he been keeping to himself?

The image of Cassy and that asshole vividly thrust itself into my brain, shifting my focus from Ray to Cassy. I struggle out from under the blanket covers, the ache in my chest traversing every cell in my body, draining me. Feeling crestfallen and downhearted, I plod to the bathroom and splash cold water on my face, trying to push the image out of my mind, but it doesn't work, it only worsens it. Questions float in my brain, seeking answers in return.

Did she even love me?

Was I just her rebound guy?

Was she stringing me along the whole time?

For how long has she been in contact with him?

"It's not what it looks like" her voice echos in my head.

She really mistakes me for a fool if she thinks I'll believe anything that she has to say. I know what I saw. I'm not stupid.

I take a seat on one of the chairs by the balcony, resting my gaze upon the moon, more questions floating in my mind...