Chapter 21: Waiting

Song: Waiting - KIAN

Chance's POV:

"So, for the wedding I was wondering what colours do you think I should use for the bride's maids dresses; Pastel Pink or Pastel Purple?" Sage asked, soon her eyes lighting up as she then quickly added on from her previous question;

"Oh! Maybe pastel blue."

She scrolled through her phone as she kept looking up at me for any signs of engagement, which I didn't give her much. Either I shrugged or said nothing.

Last week Nick had finally grown balls and proposed to Sage. Now it's all that she talks about, which is fine yet I don't really see the point in marriage.

It's just a piece of paper telling the world how much you love one another, nothing special.

"Come on Chance! Grunting and shrugging isn't an appropriate answer, I need actual real words." She groaned, leaning on the dining table as she glared at me.

I glanced up at her, staring her straight in her light brown eyes.

I gave her a brief shrug.

She let out an angry groan and shook her head in annoyance, soon running a hand through her long, golden locks.

We were currently at Wesley and Eli's apartment waiting for them to get back from food shopping and Christmas shopping. Nick went with them too, leaving Sage and I to be left alone waiting.

I continued to ignore her, scrolling through my phone. I couldn't be bothered and my mind wasn't thinking about what colours she wanted for some people to be wearing at a stupid wedding.

All I could think about was Hope and her text message.

She told me she had flown down to New Jersey to see her family. No matter how many times I asked her why she was going, she would blow me off or change the subject.

So I stopped trying.

That was until an hour ago that she had texted me she was coming home 2 days earlier than what was anticipated so I was concerned as to why.

I was damn sure I wasn't going to get a clear answer out of her even if I tried.

"Chance!"

I jumped, sitting up straight as I peered into the angry eyes of the blonde woman in front of me.

"Sorry, Sage. My mind is elsewhere. I'm not really interested in talking about what colour dresses you want. Go talk to your 'girlfriends' or your man." I began, leaning down and setting my phone aside as I placed my head down on my arms, my nose touching the cold table.

Sage sighed deeply.

"I apologise that I'm being so persistent with this entire 'ordeal'. I'm just super stressed, my wedding is in 3 months! Fair enough that's a while away but still, I want this wedding to be perfect." She mumbled tiredly and perplexed.

I peeked up and stared at the stressed looking blonde. She ran her hands through her long hair once again and began chewing on her nails.

"Sage-."

"We're home!" A voice hollered out loudly, causing my words to be cut short and Sage to perk up.