Chapter 25: Snowing and Opening Up

Song: Ever Since New York - Harry Styles

Chance's POV:

"Is that snow?!"

"Woah! Snow fall?"

"Omg! I so need to tweet about this!"

"Shit, I left my jacket at home."

Those were all the different things I heard from my family members around us as we all watched in awe as small bits of snow began to slowly cascade from the sky.

Gracefully if you would.

Hope clung to me as she watched in adoration, her mouth open and her eyes wide. She looked so beautiful and so innocent. I looked down at her, a small smile appearing on my face.

I looked up to find Eli staring directly at me.

He sent me a goofy smile and wiggled his eyebrows. I rolled my eyes but couldn't help the little wink that I sent his way. His grin became ten times bigger as he tilted his head upwards to watch the snow fall.

Sage and Nick held each other as they swayed back and forth, exchanging kisses as Wesley watched the snow.

"Wow, I haven't seen snowfall like this since I was 70." My Grandmother spoke, a sad smile cracked onto her face.

My heart clenched as Hope soon looked towards my Grandmother.

"Why so long ago? I thought you lived here?" She asked, her attention turning back to watching the falling snow.

"I used to. I now live in LA with nearly everyone else. I moved there after my dear Arlo passed away from lung cancer, although that's not true. He did have cancer but he was in so much pain that he decided treatment wasn't working." Her old, frail voice shook.

"If you don't understand  what I mean, he took his own life." She began, her voice sad yet angry.

I watched as Hope's face morphed into something indescribable, almost as if she related with what my Grandmother was saying.

"When he was still here and we lived together in New York. Around Christmas time we would always go out and watch the snow fall together." Her eyes became teary as she shakily wiped small tears away.

"So I do believe, that this here is my dear Arlo saying hello for a final time." She spoke, looking up and turning her palm out to catch a snowflake.

My heart warmed as Hope watched her closely, almost carefully.

My Grandmother gazed down at the small snowflake that appeared to be shaped as a heart, a small smile spreading across her face as she leant down and whispered;

"I love you too, Arlo."

I hadn't noticed that Hope began to sniff lightly. I looked down as she looked away, wiping the small tears she had gained from my Grandmothers story.

"You ok, princess?" I asked, pulling her in closer.

I liked that little pet name.

Hope nodded in response, leaning against me as she carefully watched everyone around us.

My stomach dipped and my heart fluttered, a combination of the both making me feel on top of the world.

Suddenly, a loud noise erupted from Hope. Her cheeks went bright red as my gaze immediately settled on her.

"I'm hungry." She whispered, looking up at me as I laughed loudly.

As if on queue, a loud voice called over everyone;