Chapter 23: New York

Song: New York - Alicia Keys (what did you expect?) or Cold December Night - Michael Bublé

Also I had previously written this chapter BUT IT WAS DELETED. So I couldn't really be bothered since I wanted to get it up tonight so it's not really edited. Enjoy and don't forget to vote x

Chance's POV:

24th of December (Christmas Eve)

I awoke to the sound of an extremely obnoxious alarm clock blaring from the opposite side to the bed. I groaned loudly in response to its nagging and pulled whatever I was holding further into my chest.

My heart stopped for a brief moment.

I peaked my eyes open to see if I had somehow trapped Hope in my hold, but was disappointed to find that her back was turned to me as she slept soundlessly even though the alarm was blaring in her ear.

I sighed in disappointment, pushing the pillow away from me as I stared at the mini pillow fort she had built in between us.

She said that she didn't want us to accidentally wake up cuddling or some shit like that.

I looked at her for a moment, taking in her pure natural beauty. How her lashes laid upon her cheekbones, along with her messy hair and her relaxed face.

She truly was the definition of beauty.

My small smile soon faded as I thought about how hard she always appears to be on herself.

I can understand where she was coming from.

She's clearly terrified of letting people into her life and she needs to have constant control over everything and anything that happens.

Like me.

She doesn't want to go through what I can wrap my brain around, another tragedy or heartbreak. I'll have to come to a stop and agree that I would rather die than have to go through what I did ages ago.

Yet, if I put two and two together then I would have to come to a conclusion that she either lost an older brother, uncle or father from the photo she was sobbing over.

And that is far worse than the heartbreak I experienced.

I understood she was trying to protect herself and keep us as far apart as we could be in order to prevent any feelings that may be lit between us, but it was too late.

I already had feelings.

And although I wanted her and wanted to touch her and always be with her, I respected her boundaries. She clearly had trust issues and I wasn't going to force her to hold my hand, hug me or do anything she wasn't comfortable with.

She could do that on her own account if she wanted to.

Even though I held her hand on the flight, she still remained to hold it.

Plus I didn't want to pressure her and have the potential to scare her away from me.

One step forward, two steps back.

And although I would be as patient as needed, I still couldn't deny the fact that I wished she would open her eyes and see that I would never intentionally hurt her to put her in harms way.

That I would take care of her.

I just needed her to see that we were truly meant to be.

Friends or not or whatever this relationship was, it was meant to be.