Fireflies.

Our lunch consisted of a BIG fish and some berries and I had never felt so full in a long time. Our afternoon was pretty much lazy, Niall skinny dipped once when it had become terribly hot and came running back whining about how cold the water was, with a towel covering his 'prized possession', that's what he called it.

The sun was setting and another day came to an end. The possibility of getting rescued seemed way out of reach now. The only question attacking my mind was why? Why weren't we being rescued? Why did no one come? Why were we forgotten?

Niall was preparing to start a fire and I kept giving him occasional smiles and nods. It had been days he hadn't spoken about being rescued. Wasn't he bored of this? Waking up, doing nothing, eating fish, doing nothing, sleep? Because I was so bored, so lifeless, what were we even waiting for? It had been 8 days and no one came for us. If no one was planning to get us out of here, why were we even alive, struggling to spend every single hour of every single day?

The sparks of the fire made me realize I was standing right in front of the blaring heat. I looked around and saw Niall gathering some blankets.

I sat down and I stared at him. He sat on the opposite side of the fire. I could see through the heat and the sparks that Niall's face was glowing. He rubbed his palms together and faced them towards the fire. He was humming a song which I couldn't remember the name of. I just couldn't believe it. I was in love with this lad who I met a week ago. If you would have told me this about a month ago I would have called you a nutcase, but here I was, here we were, us, just us.

There was something about him that made my heart skip a beat everytime. Was it the yellow flecks that arose from his iris or was it that never ending giggle of his? I guess it was the way he's with me, he doesn't try to put up an act, never tried to remorse over the fact that he, being a part of such a famous boyband, was stuck here on this island with a simpleton like me. Or maybe it was because of how much he cared for me in all the 24 hours of each day, his silly pranks, stupid excuses to go swimming, all the new things he came up with each day was the reason we were still here, with our hearts beating. I think it's that ear to ear grin that he flashes when he see's me nearly naked, the grin that says you aren't going away from my sights, the grin that makes you shiver and wonder whatever he meant by that statement.

"Ta..Ta...", I heard Niall calling out to me. My head was tilted, lost deep into thoughts about Niall.

I stood up when I saw Niall standing up. He kept staring at something behind me. I looked in his direction and my eyes widened at what I saw.

In the dense forest behind us were small yellow lights flickering around. It wasn't one light in particular but they were just dots of lights everywhere. I looked back at Niall and he came and grabbed my hand and we ran to the place where this light was coming from.

Was it someone? Did someone finally come to rescue us?

On reaching the spot, my eyes couldn't catch hold of a human body. There were just trees and trees. We walked slowly towards the source of these small lights.

And there in front of us were nearly a thousand fireflies, all buzzing around one particular tree. I looked at Niall and saw hurt flash in his eyes. Did he expect a rescuer just like I had assumed?

But when Niall yanked me ahead towards the tree, all happy and excited, I knew he was putting on a brave face. I knew for a fact that he thought we were rescued but then when he realized they were fireflies, he was sad.

We reached the tree and the whole trunk was lit up. We could hear the buzzing from the flies. I picked up my hand along with Niall's and we tried touching the bark. All the fireflies within one centimeter of our hand flew away. They all rose above our heads and created a small, dim yellow circle together. I leaned into Niall's chest as I felt his arm wrap around my waist. This scene was worth a thousand words. And then all of the fireflies sitting on the tree rose up and circled above our heads, yellow light glistening from their tails. When all of them made a big circle, it actually felt like someone had placed a big lamp in the middle of the forest.

"How beautiful is this?", I heard Niall whisper as we were both staring up at the fireflies circling above us. Under the starry sky and darkness spread everywhere, these flies where indeed a sight to see.

I turned my head and kissed Niall's cheek. Who would have thought we would have something as beautiful as this just for the two of us?

Niall shifted his position and I realized the flies shifted their position too.

"Hold on. Go back again", I pushed him behind slightly and the flies followed suit.

"I think they love you", I giggled and Niall saw what I was seeing.

He went a few steps ahead and the circle of flies followed him. I was following Niall, still in awe as to how the flies followed him. Niall walked till our seat, with me and the flies behind him.

He smiled and sat down. And then I took in my view.

Just above Niall's head was this huge circle of flies emitting their golden light which made Niall look like an angel. He was still looking at the flies and got his finger up to touch any one of them but because of his actions the circle was breaking, so he stopped. He finally rested his arms on his lap and looked at me.

"You don't love me?", he asked.

"Of course I do", I smiled.

"Get here then. I want you to be here  with me underneath this little glowing circle", those words falling from his lips alone made my heart beat faster.

I scooted close to Niall with my head up staring at the circle. Niall slipped his fingers in between mine and held on to my hand. "I love you", he whispered.

That was when I realized what he was. He was my angel. He was my little goofy-crazy-dumb at times-angel.

I felt Niall's lips on mine and it took me a while to respond. And at that moment if my hearing was proper, I heard the flies hum louder, kind of like they were celebrating something. It felt like they were waiting for us to kiss underneath their little circle of light. I placed my free hand on Niall's neck and smiled into the kiss. I think the message that these flies tried to convey was that Niall and me were meant to be.

A/N

I promised for a second update so there it was!

I would love your feedback on this chapter, did you guys like it?

This chapter is dedicated to @Irish_Eilish ! Thankyou so much for your support!

I am currently sitting with 7,018 reads and AHH THANKYOU SO MUCH!

If you haven't voted for any previous chapters, please do!

Thankyou!