Chapter 7

"Young Izuku, tell me, what do you think of your quirk?" Izuku blinks.

"The recent one or the one that I've had since I was 4?" Izuku asks, Toshinori seemed pleased.

"It's good that you accept your new quirk readily as your own and not just as a last resort. Tell me, when you use any of those, what do you think of it?" Izuku ponders a bit.

"I guess... I guess I think that I should always give it my all when I use them. I want to protect everyone dear to me the best that I can and I want to protect everyone else. I just want to do my best to make sure I won't screw up or anything..." he mumbles, "I want to be a person Kaccha- people can rely on and stuff so I want to give it my all..."

"Ah... I see." Toshinori nods in understanding, "I think I get what the problem is now."

"You do?"

"Sorry it was a mistake on my part. Young Izuku, when I given you your regimen, you had no room for relaxation and I kept you pressured, in a sense, you kept doing your best to keep up with everything that all you can give out right now is your best, am I right?" Izuku blinks.

"I don't get it."

"When you were trying to weaken your punches, you were forcing yourself to, right?" Izuku nods, before his eyes widen.

"Oh..."

"I see that you've realized. Izuku, you're forcing yourself to weaken it, forcing it, you need to control it. Let me guess, you've also never chomped anything without the intent of crushing it, right? I noticed when you were eating, while you took your time you chomped and chewed with force, it almost didn't seem natural. When eating, you're not supposed to chomp everything to rip it apart. You can chew moderately, Izuku."

"Ah... I... I do that though when eating normal food."

Toshinori hands him a nail. Izuku quickly eats it to shreds.

Toshinori hands him another nail.

"Chew normally." Izuku nods.

He resists the urge to chomp on it, he chews like its normal food- it breaks but it feels... unnatural. In the end he spits it out, it doesn't break apart fast to chew, he had to take time to eat it. He can savour it more and it does work but... it doesn't feel right.

"...I don't like doing it that way."

"Well, it's fine, we have 4 months before the UA entrance exams." Toshinori smiles, he goes to the truck before returning back with a huge box, it falls to the sand heavily.

"Now I want you to finish this with only chewing, no chomping."

_____________________________

Izuku is taking his time eating his lunch today. Katsuki notices. Not that he was paying attention or anything. He just noticed after all.

It somehow feels weird, seeing Izuku be gentle (?) with the food that he's eating. Chewing it thoroughly, Katsuki watches his throat as he swallows. It is somehow. Mesmerizing, it's the only thing that hasn't changed.

"You're eating slower today." Katsuki says, absentmindedly picking on his food.

"I guess I am, I never really tried to savour how my food tastes like this. It's kind of weird." Izuku admits, "but it's not unwelcome, now that I've started doing it, I'm not sure if I can chomp my way through anything anymore. Everything just tastes good, you know?"

"What about metal? You said you didn't like how bitter it was."

"It's still bitter but like... think of it as like dark chocolate instead, it's bitter, it's taste lingers in your mouth but you still eat it anyway because in a way it tastes good?"