CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

||CHAPTER SEVENTEEN // I TRIED, I SWEAR||

When they got into the impala Dakota had already forgotten her anger towards her father, she struck up conversation with both of them. She told Sam a little bit about what had happened, Dean pitched in a bit to fill in the details that she had forgotten. Their prior argument was never spoken of, it was like it never happened.

"I can't believe it. Mom--a hunter?" Sam questions in disbelief, his eyes squint as he tries to wrap his head around the idea.

"I wouldn't have believed it, either, if I hadn't seen it myself." Dean chuckles, shaking his head. "That woman could kick some ass. I mean, she almost took me down."

"She was really intimidating." Dakota agrees, thinking back to how scared she felt when she first met her grandmother.

"How'd she look?" Sam asks, looking over at his older brother. "I mean...was she happy?"

"Yeah, she was awesome." Dean assures Sam, his eyes darting to the review mirror to meet his daughter's bright green eyes.

"She was funny and smart." Dakota whispers, Sam turns to look at her over his shoulder.

"So hopeful." Dean continues his daughter's description. "Dad, too. Until, of course..." Dean trails as his eyes meet his daughter's again.

Dakota sighs heavily and looks down, tears welling up in her eyes as she thinks back to what happened. She hated being possessed, anybody would, but she felt trapped in her own head. Like she was drowning, she couldn't move, couldn't breathe. She could see everything that was happening but she was powerless to stop it.

Sam looks out the window, sighing.

"What?" Dean questions his brother, looking over at him momentarily.

"Nothing." Sam whispers in return, continuing to look out the window. "It's just--our parents, and now we find out our grandparents, too? Our whole family murdered, and for what? So yellow eyes could get in my nursery and bleed in my mouth?" Sam scoffs, his voice filled with rage. Dakota winces at the reminder of what yellow eyes did with to their family.

"Sam, I never said anything about demon blood." Dean says confused, he doesn't know how his brother could know that. "You knew about that?"

"Yeah, for about a year." Sam confirms quietly, his jaw clenched.

"A whole year." Dean says sarcastically, his eyes glaring at the road.

"I should have told you. I'm sorry." Sam apologizes.

"You've been saying that a lot lately, Sam. But whatever," Dean scoffs, looking over at his brother with a sarcastic smile. "You don't want to tell me, you don't have to. It's fine."

"Dean." Sam pleads, but Dean remains nonreactive towards his brother's plea. "Whatever." Sam sighs.

Dakota's sniffle pulls them out of their argument. They both look at her to find her green eyes watery and her lips quivering.