CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

||CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO // NIGHTMARES ||

Sam laid Dakota down on Dean's bed when they made it to the motel, she murmured something quietly before rolling over fast asleep. He chuckles at her, pressing a kiss to her head before getting into his own bed. He knew that Dean probably wouldn't be back tonight, and if he was it would be late or early morning.

He was half asleep, on his back with one arm under his head, when a startling scream pierced the air. Sam's eyes blew wide and he bolted up with gasping breaths. He hears the same scream again and realizes it's coming from Dakota. She thrashes around in the bed screaming, her hands tearing at her hair and clawing at her face.

Sam rushes over to her and pulls her hands away from her face, he calls out her name loudly.

"Kota, hey, it's okay." She remains asleep and thrashing. "Dakota! Dakota, wake up!" He calls louder, she gasps and her eyes fly open in panic.

She whimpers and shuffles away from Sam quickly, her eyes scanning the room in fear before dropping to her shaking hands. She glares at her hands harshly, curling them into tight fists before breaking down into sobs.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." She mumbles between sobs, Sam shushes her gently and pulls her back to him.

"You're okay, it's okay." Sam soothes, she shakes her head wildly as he presses it against his chest. "Shh, it's okay."

"No, no, no. It's not, I-I killed them." She whimpers, her shaking hands gripping onto his shirt tightly, she peels herself away from his chest to look at him. "I-I felt him, Sammy, I couldn't move...I was stuck."

"Kota, you didn't kill anybody, okay?" Sam says, cradling her small face between his big hands. "That was all the yellow-eyed demon.  Nobody blames you for what happened."

"I do."

"What?"

"I blame myself," She explains. "I wasn't able to keep him from killing grandpa and Deanna."

"Dakota, when someone is possessed, they have no control over the demon. There was nothing you could've done."

She sighs heavily, wiping her eyes before her face changes into something Sam has seen on Dean's face many times. "Okay." She relents, nodding her head and pulling herself away from Sam. "I'm sorry for waking you." She says before rolling onto her side and digging her face into her pillow.

Sam watches her for a few moments before taking a deep breath and laying down beside her, not wanting her to be alone. It's times like this when Sam realizes how much Dakota is like Dean.

He woke up a couple more times during the night, different nightmares startling the youngest Winchester awake. Sam tried his best to calm her down when she woke each time crying out in fear.