CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

||CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO // BIRTHDAY||

After the wendigo incident, Dakota started going on more hunts with Sam and Dean. In their spare time, Dean would take her out in a secluded place and teach her how to shoot different guns while quizzing her on what would kill which monster. She was a quick learner, shooting was the thing she struggled with the most, Sam taught her how to fight with a knife and how to throw it, she picked that up quickly.

They found out that Sam was drinking demon blood, Dakota didn't know what to do with that information. She spent so long pleading Sam's case that he wasn't different, that he was normal. Normal people don't drink demon blood, she didn't know what to say about that. If anything, she was disappointed at her uncle. She felt like he knew better than to drink demon blood and use powers that he didn't fully understand.

Sam didn't listen to Dean or Dakota, they tried to get him to stop using his powers and drinking the demon blood. He said that he would, Dakota believed him, she trusted him. He listened to Ruby instead of his family, she lied to him and he killed Lilith.

Dakota thought that would be a good thing, she wanted to kill Lilith for what she did to her dad. Cas told Dakota and Dean that killing Lilith would break the final seal, releasing Lucifer into their world and starting the apocalypse.

Dean was angry at Sam, so he decided to take Dakota out practicing to get his mind off his brother's betrayal.

It was also to take Dakota out for her birthday, they didn't realize how close it was until it appeared. June 11th, she turns nine years old today.

"Okay, place it against your shoulder, nice and easy." Dean says, helping Dakota told the gun properly on her shoulder. "Aim the gun lower than you want to kick, it doesn't make sense but do it anyway." Dean adds upon seeing her confused look. "Now, squint one eyes. Breathe in, breathe out, and fire." Dean covers Dakota's ears for her and steps back slightly, holding his arms out to still cover her.

She takes a deep breath, holding it and focusing her aim. She breathes out slowly then squeezes the trigger. The bullet sails through the air and sinks itself into a beer bottle, shattering it. Dakota's jaw drops and she lays the gun down slowly, turning to face Dean with an awed expression.

"I did it! I did it! I did it!" She squeals, jumping up and down while waving her arms. "Call Sammy! I don't care that I'm mad! Call him!" She orders with a large grin. Dean pulls out his phone and dials Sam's number, placing the phone on speaker and holding it out towards Dakota.

"Dean?" Sam answers the phone in confusion, not expecting his brother to call him anytime soon, unless absolutely necessary.

"I did it, Sammy! I shot the bottle! I did it!" She cheers, leaping upwards and pumping her fist in the air.

Sam gasps exaggeratedly through the phone. "No way! Already? It took me like six weeks! You're so good, bug!" He copies her excited tone, pride shining through his words.

"I can't believe I did it! The bullet with wooosh! And it hit the bottle dead on, the bottle went crssh!" She mimics the sounds and uses wide hand gestures.

Dean watches in amusements, smiling at his daughter as he forgets his anger towards Sam.

"I wish I could've seen that, bug." Sam tells her in an almost sad voice, he can't believe he missed her first time hitting the target.

"I can show you later! We can find a quiet spot, somewhere nobody can hear us and bang!" She exclaims, jumping up and throwing her arms out, using her body as an explosion.

"You better." Sam says seriously, she can almost picture his thinking face as he tries to fight a smile.

"I will! I swear, Sammy, I will!" She grins, practically screaming into the phone. "Do you want to stay on the phone will I practice? It would be like you're here."

"Okay, bug, I'll stay on while you shoot." Sam promises, Dean places the phone on the ground beside them, making sure to keep it far enough so they don't step on it.

"Repeat everything you just did, okay, baby?" Dean questions, helping her set the gun back to it position on her shoulder, he goes back and covers her ears again.

She squints one eye while breathing in, she focuses her aim on the other bottle, slowly exhaling and firing the gun. The bullet hits the middle of the bottle, shattering it instantly.

"Do you hear that, Sammy!? The bottle broke! I did it again!" She hands the gun to Dean and bounds over to the phone, picking it up and cheering for herself. "Do you see that, daddy!" She shouts loudly, pumping her free hand up in the air excitedly.

"I saw it, baby. You're gonna be the best little sharp shooter in the business." He praises, ruffling her hair before kissing it.

"Sammy! You hear that! Best little sharp shooter!" She relays to her uncle.

"I heard it, bug. Of course you are, you're a Winchester." Sam tells her, Dean grabs the phone from her before she drops it in her excitement.

"I'm a friggin' Winchester!" She cheers, throwing her arms up and dancing around.

"Jeez, never thought she would be that excited to shoot a gun." Dean laughs to his brother.

"What'd you expect, she's your daughter." Sam chuckles back. "Remember when dad took us shooting for the first time? Man, I thought he was going to shoot you for being so excited."

"You thought he was gonna shoot me? Dude, I was terrified when he first pulled the gun out." Dean says, watching Dakota dance around and cheer. "She's only shot two bullets and she's throwin' herself a friggin' party." Dean laughs.

"She's adorable."

"Damn right she is, she's my kid."

Dakota whoops and jumps around, skipping up to Dean and launching herself into his arms. Dean grunts, scrambling to catch her while keeping a grip on his phone. Dakota giggles while she holds onto his shoulders, steadying herself while she throws her leg around the back of his neck, holding herself onto his shoulders.

"Jesus, Kota." Dean mutters, holding onto her ankles to keep her from falling. "You have way too much energy right now." He says, looking up at her.

"She's your kid." Sam repeats from the phone.

"Shut up, Sam." Dean sighs at the same time Dakota squeals. "I'm a mini you!"

Dean carries Dakota to the impala, both of them having wide grins on their faces. He grabs Dakota off of his shoulders so he could go back and collect all the guns and intact bottles. Dakota follows after him, chatting mindlessly to Sam who's still on the phone. Dean grins down at his daughter mischievously.

"Race ya?" He questions.

"You're on." She mimics his grin, readying herself in a running position.

"Ready, set, go!" Sam calls from the phone.

Both Winchesters take of running as fast as they can until one of them touches Baby. One of them grins while the other pouts, both of them heaving for air.

"So who won?" Sam questions.

"Who do you think?"

Dakota starts cheering while Dean tells her to shut up jokingly, a small smile curling at his lips while Dakota skips around him while holding the phone like it was a trophy.

"I won Sammy! I won a Sammy!" She cheers childishly.

"Yay!"

To Dakota, this was the one of the best birthdays she's ever had. Not only did she learn to shoot, she got to joke around and play with her dad which is something she doesn't get to do a lot.

Edited 6/11/19