5. Morning madness.

"Virgil?" I groaned pulling myself in tighter to whatever I was codling up with. This sharp pain shot up my back and my eyes opened wide, scaring the shit out of a worried Patton."Virgil, kiddo?" 

"Shit." I pushed myself off of the sleeping Roman and frown. How could I have been so stupid?! How could I let my self relax that much? I felt as Patton placed a hand on my shoulder drawing my attention to him so he could try and calm me down.

"Hey, it's ok. The sun isn't up yet." But its rising... Another spark of pain and I groaned out holding my head in an attempt to keep it from spinning.

"I never should have fallen asleep." Patton squeezed my shoulder before letting go. I looked up at him and saw this look on his face. This kind of look a nosy friend would make. The kind of look a parent would make before embarrassing you.

"It's ok, but who is this?" He gestured to the sleeping man practically jumping up and down and I pulled my hoodie down, trying desperately to hide the blush.

"Don't start, Pat." I cried out and he just crossed his arms, like he was offended.

"What? You were laying on top of him." My eyes went wide and I jumped off the couch, nearly waking the poor guy up.

"Patton?!"

"What?" I was about to say something when pain shot through my body again, this time way more intense and I frowned.

"Forget it. Thanks for coming." He dropped his arms and pulled me into a hug seeing how much pain I was in.

"Of course, kiddo." I pulled away as my body started to tense, signally it was almost time.

"Hey Pat, do you mind doing me a favor?"

"Whatever you need, you know that." I smiled and looked over at Roman. "Kiddo?"

"Do you mind watching over him till he leaves?" 

"You got it, Virge." Patton smiled brightly jumping up and clapping. I'll take it as a yes then. I smirked taking my hoodie off and resting it beside the sleeping boy and frowned. I felt my head twitch and the air nearly got knocked out of me. "Go on, the suns coming up."

"Thanks, Pat."

"Love you, kiddo." He called back as I started for the cliff. I looked back to see him smiling and I smiled back. I always hated this part. I saw Patton turn away before the pain fired up and I fell to my knees crying out. I tried to hold back the screams not only for Patton but for Roman, who was asleep and unaware. 

I took a deep breath struggling to my feet and forced myself over the edge. I slammed my eyes shut and I felt the wind rush past as I fell farther and farther. I bit my tongue as I held back the screams, tasting the metallic flavor in my mouth, and I cringed. I opened my eyes just in time to see Patton peering over the cliffside, fear all over him. I narrowed my eyes and sighed. Just before I could hit the ground I pushed myself up and soon I was soaring through the air with mighty black wings. 

Being in dragon form was always different. My senses where increased, even more than they already were. My size was a lot bigger to which always took me a bit to get used to. Then there was the flying... It was incredible. The wind against your wings was the most relaxing thing I have found so far. But it still didn't stop the feeling of dread and self-hate have single morning.

I looked around me and cringed. I had forgotten it snowed so much, and Roman didn't have a coat. I sighed and shook my head. I couldn't just let him leave in this, just to freeze again. It would be very... nice, of me.

So I  turned around and landed on the mountain, gripping the rocks with my claws and taking a deep breath. I felt the fire burn within me and soon the whole area was ablaze with this clear flame. One of the abilities Lya taught me... A fire that doesn't burn. 

I watched the snow melt and I honestly felt good about myself. Now Roman won't freeze to death like he almost did last night. I could feel the energy drain from me and I had to hold on tighter to the rock so I didn't fall. I was tired... I usually just sleep in the morning. What else was I supposed to do like this? 

That's when I saw Roman. He walked out of the cave entrance and made his way up front before stopping and looking around. He was so lost in thought he hadn't even noticed anything. I watched as he looked up at Patton. I started feeling a little lonely knowing he was leaving but brushed it off. He'll never fall for someone like me. He'd see the monster and run like the rest of them... or worse be like him.

I felt my body convulsed at the memory and I felt as I started to fall. God damn it. Even now you still hurting me...

I bet that makes you happy, huh... Janus...

"VIRGIL?!"