10.Without him... Shadows emerge. (TW)

"So Roman's going to be staying?" Patton asked as he sat down on the couch beside me. I felt myself smile and Patton started to laugh. "You really like him don't you?"

"Patton, please... don't." He nudged my arm and I melted into the blankets. Or, well, I tried to. I honestly just wanted to disappear. I could hear Patton laughing as I started to blush. "Patton." I wined and he just ruffled my hair smiling. I watched as he got up and started to put his stuff on. "A-Are you g-going somewhere?"

"Yeah, I have some business in town. Are you going to be ok on your own?" I looked away and nodded. "Well, ok then. I won't be long, it is late after all." He started for the door when he looked back and smiled at me. "Remember if you..."

"... Go into town, where my coat. Yes, I know." He just waved me off and I rolled my eyes as he left. The moment the door closed it got cold. Funny that... I'm never cold, until I am alone. I got up off the couch and made my way over to cliffside, watching as Patton made his way down the path. He finally disappeared and I looked down at the drop. 

Tears started to fall and suddenly I found myself standing at the cliffside so long ago. Back when Lya first died. I felt his arms go around me and I smiled leaning into him.

"I thought we spoke about this?" His voice was soft and caring. What the fuck happened?

"We did." I felt him hug me tighter as he rested his chin on my shoulder. "I was just thinking."

"About what?"

"My past mostly. Everything that happened to me... to others. You don't look at me any different." He spun me around and brushed away the tears that fell from my eyes.

"Why would I look at you differently? Everyone has a past. I am no different. We all have done things that we look back on regretfully, but you my sweet prince... You have changed for the better. And even if you don't see that in yourself, I'll be here to remind you." I looked into those mismatched eyes and smiled. "Why don't he head home, huh?"

"You still owe me that dinner." I melted into his laugh as it echoed around me. It was so light and soft. 

"Yeah, I guess I still do. Let's go." Something crashed behind me and I spun around nearly falling off the cliff in shock. The light bulb had gotten too hot and it shattered. Nice, another mess to pick up. I groaned as I just collapsed onto the coach. It was cold and silent... To silent. I miss him. Roman... I didn't realize how much until I was alone. I hugged my self as I laid back staring a ceiling. "VIRGIL!"

I stood there in the arena looking back at the man that once held my heart, his eyes now at cold as a snake. I saw the cattle prod and I started to run praying I could get out but nothing. This place was made to hold dragons.

"Virgil there is no escaping." He got closer and I just backed myself up into a wall. I was scared. Who wouldn't be? I had to... to... just to get out of the chains. Jan looked at my wings and scoffed. "Now I thought we spoke about this, hun." I growled at him and he just smirked. "To do that to yourself... It's almost like you hate me." He lashed out with the cattle prod and I fell back onto my wings. The sound I made crying out at the pain was enough to make Jan step back. "To go so far... You practically tore you wings off Virgil." He came over and sighed sticking me with the prod, listening to my screams as he did. "Even so I won't go easy on you."

"You right about that Jan." I whispered through the tears that fell. "You never went easy on me. Even after... After I... Dammit!" 

"VIRGIL, GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE!" I felt the cold stones cut into my feet as I ran. I pushed through a crack in the wall ignoring the pain in my arm. I pulled my arm in, taking off my ripped shirt, and wrapped it around the bloody cuts. "VIRGIL!"

"Shit..." I squeezed myself into a  small crack as several knights rushed past. I felt someone grab my broken arm, pulling me out from where I was and I cried out. 

"Shh. Sorry, I'm sorry. Here..." They picked me up careful of my arm and held me close. "I'll get you to out. I promise." He looked back before he started running. He ducked back as more knights came rushing through and I saw him sneak past. He pulled his hood up as we made it outside the rain falling hard, lightning lighting up the sky. He stopped short as the lighting crashed revealing a cliff. Another one... a deeper one.

"Enough of this!" The man set me down and pushed me behind him as he turned to see Jan standing there with several men. "What are you doing?"

"This is wrong Deceit. AND YOU KNOW IT!" The man yelled out Jan just laughed. "I couldn't just stand back and watch. IT'S OVER!"

"It's over when I say it is. You forget..." His eyes started to glow yellow and I tensed up. It felt like there were these snakes wrapping around me... choking me. "hE's mInE!"

"He's a living person!"

"He's a monster!" My eyes went wide and I took a step back, fighting against the invisible force trying to constrict me. "He's the Dragon of Roe, and he's my property."

"I won't let you hurt him anymore." The man said as he held his sword up to guard me. I took another step back. The rain drowning out almost everything around me.

"You'd give up everything... for him?"

"Nothing I have is worth a life." 

"So be it. I'll be sure to let your father know... After your dead." The Knights started to rush us and I quickly grabbed the mans hand running as fast as I could until the both of us went over the cliff.

"Virgil?!" I jumped up in surprise only to see Patton's concerned look. "Are you ok? You looked like you were having a nightmare." Not quite but not far off.

"I'm good, Pat. Sorry for worrying you."