23. He Knows?!

"Your friend... Patton... He's from Ceit isn't he?" He just stared at the wall and smiled. "I mean I know I mention that his appearance resembles that of the Ceit royal family but I never voiced my speculation."

"Your highness I can explain..."

"Why?" He looked back at me and I sunk back, more than a little anxious. "Logan fell for that man years ago. Well before Ceit declared war. I saw how much He loves my son. Besides a doubt that pure-hearted looking man could hold a sword even if..." I cringed as the memory of the night we escaped played in my mind. Patton was willing to do more than just hold a sword. "Virgil?"

"I... I-I don't..." My eyes flashed red as Janus's voice echoed through my mind and the next thing I knew I was in a hug. I shaky one but still. I looked up to see the king looking sad as I pulled away. "Sorry. I don't know what came over me." Yes, I did. The same thing that always does.

"Your eyes were glowing red." He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "I was right then."

"Right about what." He shot me this look and I started to tense up. The red slowly coming back as I hid my eyes under my hood. "I don't know what you're talking about... Red eyes. There clearly brown."

"Did Roman ever tell you what his favorite story was?" I shook my head no and he laughed. "That's a surprise. He was always talking about it. My family has been in this area for so long we often forget of the lands past. My father never did. When he was younger he went out to the old ruins just to learn about the people that once called it home."

"Why would anyone want to go to Roe? It's nothing but ash." At least I thought that was the case but Ceit proved me wrong. The king just laughed as he continued on.

"He went alone and something went wrong. According to him one of the banisters broke and collapsed on top of him and..."

"He got trapped..." My hands started to shake. A young man in Roe alone and trapped. How is that possible? How? Why...

"He said this man saved his life."

Hey hold on, don't move. I'll get you out of there.

Please hurry!

"He said the man was strong."

When I move this I need you to get back as fast as you can ok?

I don't understand.

Just trust me... AND RUN!

"He said the man was kind."

Shit your leg.

It really hurts.

Ok, let me think... Here, don't move. Just look at me. It's going to be ok. Just look at...

WHAT THE FUCK! It... What did you do? It stopped hurting.

"What's the point in that story?" I asked trying to drown out the voices in my head. I looked over at him and he smiled wide.

"When he came home that night he was in rough shape but he was alive. Everyone asked him what happened but all he ever said was... He was saved by Eragon. A prince with red eyes." I jumped up and started to pace unable to wrap my head around what was being said. That young man I saved so long ago was ROMANS FUCKING GRANDFATHER! How is that possible? And what man in his right mind talks about it like that. People must have thought he was insane. I'm lost and confused and I don't know what to say to that. "When Roman was a small child, my father saw how excited he would get at the stories of heroes and dragons. Every night he would tell him a new story until one night he told him about Eragon."

My eyes went wide and I froze in place. I never liked the legend of Eragon. It was clearly a legend about me but it was lie. It painted me as this bright light and that was not who I was. The king raised an eyebrow and I sat down in his wheelchair, unable to sit beside him but unable to stay standing. 

"Why bring this up?"

"Call it a wise mans intuition or a dying mans wish... but I something about you..."

"I'm just some random man that lives in a damn cave. I'm not special. I'm no prince... I am not..."

"Virgil?" I looked over at the door to see Patton and Logan standing there confused. Patton rubbed his eyes as he yawned and I smiled. "Why are you yelling?"

"I didn't realize I was. Why are you up, you're obviously tired?" I stood up and walked over to him, placing my hand to his forehead, frowning. "And feverish, when was the last time you slept."

"'m not sure. 'ights still... I don't know." I looked over at the king and sighed.

"I'm sorry to have to do this but. May I take a rain check on this lovely chat. My friend needs me." He nodded and Logan started to pull Pat out of the room. I began to follow when...

"May I ask one final question?" I turned around to see the king holding up his wrists and I cringed again at the black. "You seem to know what this is."

"I have... experience with it.. yes." His eyes darkened and he let his hands drop.

"How long do I have left."

"You're asking me?" I stopped as I saw the pain in his eyes and I looked away. "Not long at the most but..."

"But what?"

"It depends..." I watched his eyes narrow as I turned again to leave. "It depends on how long your willing to suffer."

"What makes you think I'm suffering?"

"Your hands never stopped shaking."