29. A Finished Story

"LOGAN!" I yelled as loud as I could. I could see his breathing drop and I could feel the tears already start to fall. Damn it, Virgil. You knew this was going to happen. I heard the door open and looked over to see Logan running over. I took a step back and felt my chest begin to burn. I winced at the sudden pain and I looked over to see a broken Roman standing in the doorway. He's back? When... I saw him shake his head and I looked away.

"I-Is he..." Roman started. I just sighed and started to move out of the way so Logan can get closer.

"Not yet." I watched as Logan knelt down beside his father and suddenly the room started spinning. I had to grip onto the chair as a wave of nausea hit me. Shit... not good. I looked up at Roman and saw the tears start to fall. "R-Roman."

He was hurting... OBVIOUSLY! He looked over at me and I just ran. I pushed right past him and ran to the closest bathroom. I let myself fall to my knees and just took everything in. I was shaking and everything felt cold. Really cold... Ice cold. I should not be cold.

I wrapped my hoodie tight around me and just let out a shaky breath. I can't stay locked up in a bathroom. Roman needs me... he... I doubled over as the pain intensified. SHIT!

I pulled myself up and slowly staggered out of the bathroom. I made it to the door when everything started to go fuzzy. One thing I can say I don't like about being a dragon. Feeling my riders sadness as physical pain. IT FUCKING SUCKS!

"My trip was... enlightening to say the least, father. I honestly don't know." I leaned against the wall trying to stabilize myself. That was clearly Romans voice. The way he said that... Did the king know? Did he know where Roman was going? I scoffed at my own thoughts and just shook my head, ignoring the dizziness that came from it.

"D-Don't h-hide y-yourself, Virgil." I frowned and looked towards the door. Of course... I slowly pushed myself up trying very hard not to look like I was about to pass out and walked into view. "I t-told you he would come h-home s-safe and s-sound."

"You never said you knew where he had went." I smiled and felt the room start to spin again. I am not doing so good.

"Come here." I shook my head getting another wave of dizziness and frowned.

"It's not my place, Sir."

"You're a part of this f-family too, son." Fuck. How can one say no when a dying man says that?! Shit! I took a deep breath and slowly made my way over carefully trying not to fall. I got to the chair and sat unsure if I could make it any farther. The last thing I want is to add to their pain right now. "Logan..."

"Yes, Father?" I couldn't focus on shit. The room was spinning and it took everything I had so sit still. My hands were shaking terribly.

"Stop beating yourself up." My eyes narrowed as I tried to listen. I couldn't exactly see what was going on, but I could tell Roman was worried about his brother. "Y-You both l-love each other. G-Get o-off your ass-s and t-tell him."

"Father!" Logan yelled causing me to jump a bit. I gripped my shirt and just tried to breath. The room slowly beginning to stop spinning.

"Roman..."

"I know make a choice, right." I looked over at Roman to see him frowning, his hands slightly shaking in his lap.

"F-Follow your h-heart." I looked over to see the King looking at the two of us and I got confused. What choice did Roman need to make? It's not like I told him about the whole rider thing. "It might lead you to the right choice." Seriously, what choice. I froze as Logan got up and left suddenly. I was going to ask if I should go when there was this loud noise causing us all to jump."Roman... I think your b-brother needs you."

Roman looked over at me and I frowned, looking away. The kings sending him away because he knows his times up... And Roman knows it too.

"I love you, Father." I felt my body tense up as the air got knocked out of me.

"I love you too, Son." I looked at the door and felt my whole body start to break down. "Virgil?" I looked up at the king and saw him smiling. "It's ok, son. I know it must be painful."

"Nothing compared to what you must be going through." I said as I pulled my arms in trying hard to hide the shaking. I have no right to break when the king is staying so strong. It just wouldn't be right.

"Virgil..." I looked away and he sighed. "You need to tell him something, son."

"I-I c-can't." He just shook his head.

"If you don't... You're just going to keep suffering." I smiled and glanced up at the door.

"I don't mind that. If it means he's happy and safe." The king just stared up at the ceiling as his breathing got shallower... harder to do. "Sir?"

"D-Do... D-Do y-you m-mind finishing the s-story?" He looked over at me and I shook my head.

"Of course not." He smiled brightly as his eyes started to close. I took a deep breath and looked up at the ceiling, holding my hands together just to keep them from shaking.

"SAM!" I yelled as the fire finally died down. I held my arm against my nose and mouth trying hard not to breath in anymore dust and ash. "SAM!"

"Still here..." The trunk lid slowly rose and a wave of relief washed over me. "That was... awesome."

"No... It was risky." I said as I held him out of the trunk. He winced loudly as his left leg moved and I frowned.

"Shit your leg." I sat him down and he whimpered as I lifted it to look. It was cut and it was painful. Very painful. I started to rip some of his pants so I could get better access to the cut and Sam cried out.

"It really hurts."

"Ok, let me think..." I looked up at Sam and frowned. Well, he already saw me use my fire. What's the worst that this can do? "Here, don't move."

"What, why?" I could hear the fear in his voice and I frowned. I place my hand over his cut and he cried out again.

"Hey, Sam. Can you do me a favor?" He hesitantly pulled his eyes from his leg and looked up at me. "Can you look up here?" I used my other hand to point at myself and his eyes narrowed in confusion, "Can you look at me?"

"Why?" He started to look down again, so I snapped drawing his attention away from his leg and the white flames that were building on my hand.

"Just look at me. Can you do that, Sam?" He nodded and I smiled. "Good. It's going to be ok. You just gotta keep looking up. Just look at..." I sent the pulse of white flames right into his leg and Sam jerked back.

"WHAT THE FUCK! It..." He stopped for a second and looked back at me in confusion, moving his leg back and forth. "What did you do? It stopped hurting."

"It's only temporary. At least until you can get an actual doctor to look you over." I helped pull him up and he swayed a bit. "It's gonna be numb for a while."

The room suddenly got colder and I looked over at the bed with tears in my eyes. His breathing had stopped and so did his shaking. I took a deep breath and wiped the tears from my face, before standing up.

"I helped Sam out of the castle and as I was leaving he asked about the locket. I told him to keep it. After all, what better trinket to pass down than that." I choked back the tears that threatened to fall again. "Your Father was a brave man. Smart to... figured out who I was simply from watching me." I wrapped my hoodie around me tighter and I sighed. "Goodbye, sir."

I walked out of the room and everything hit me hard. I didn't want to move, but my body tensed up and I frowned. Of course, the suns coming up now.

"Virgil?" I can't... I shook my head and left. I just can't right now. I'm sorry Roman.

"He's gone."