17. Memory Lane Pt.5 (TW)

"Hey... HEY!" I shot up, coughing up water as my body begged for air that just didn't want to come. "You're ok. Just... try to breathe." I looked around to find myself completely lost. I had no clue where I was or how... I looked behind the man to see a river and smiled. I did it. I escaped. I jumped and the river brought me here... brought us here. I tried to get to my feet when this sharp pain shot through my spine and I cried out. "Don't push yourself. Your arm's broken and you're in really rough shape."

"Why?" He gave me this confused look and I just shook my head. "Why help... me. Why... why after what I..."

"No one deserves that. Not even the so-called monsters they think you are."

"They wrong."I am so much worse."

"Hey, don't say things like that." I waved him off and he frowned.

"You don't know me." He shook his head as he picked me up.

"I don't need to. I know what I see." I gave him a confused look and he just smiled brightly at me. "I see a young man hurt and in need. I can't just let that go. Besides whatever your past, it can't be as bad as what he did to you." He started to walk to god knows where and I just sighed.

"Like I said you don't know me." I looked around and my heart dropped. I was wrong. I did know this place. I knew it better than anything. It's my home... Roe...

"My names Patton, by the way." My eyes went wide as his hood finally fell down to reveal his bright blonde hair and blue eyes, a crown ontop his head. When... WHEN DID HE START WEARING A FUCKING CROWN. "The official ex-prince of Ceit." I started to panic and his smile fell. He held me tight against his chest, close enough so I could hear his heartbeat. "Don't worry Virgil. I won't let them hurt you anymore."

"I... I just... You're the fucking... Shit, this is bad." I started to kick until I finally dropped to the ground, crying out as pain shot through my arm.

"Virgil?"

"STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!" I yelled out as I backed up a bit. Patton just frowned. "You're the fucking Prince."

"Was... Deceit will most likely tell my father I perished along with David and then assume to the position of crowned prince since he is the adopted son." He trailed off looking over at the stream. "Honestly I am so very happy."

"What?" He looked back at me and smiled.

"I never liked it there. After the destruction of Roe..." I cringed and he paused. The destruction of Roe, nothing but a nice way of saying utter obliteration. Burned by the very fire it created... burn by me... there fucking prince. Princes are just another form a monster takes. I learned that when I took a cold hard look in the mirror. You just can't trust them. There all enemies. "Virgil, I am not the enemy. I want nothing more than to help." 

"Don't..." I looked up at him with wide eyes and he just got confused. "Don't read my mind. It is not a safe place."

"Read your... what are you talking about?" I just shook my head as I slowly stood up. This is getting ridiculous. Why does he remind me so much of Lya? He even has the same fucking bright smile. Blonde hair and pale skin... UGGH, I bet their eyes would even match if I ever actually saw hers. 

"Forget it, I need to..." I saw Patton begin to shake and I winced in sympathy. It must be freezing. It was fall and he was soaked. I should... NO! I should leave. I should get as far away from him as I could. I should leave him here and... His eyes started to gloss over and my eyes went wide. I managed to run over and catch him before he fell. "Patton? Hey... PATTON?!"

He was shaking and cold... Freezing to the touch, something I don't often feel. His shaking was bad and his face was flushed. How long had he been out here waiting? He must have been suffering just sitting there. Why didn't he just leave me? 

"Shit!" I looked around and groaned. The closest place is my old home. The one Lya had made for me. Did I really want to go back there, just to get this PRINCE out of the cold? Patton's eyes began to flutter and I could see the slight glow of blue underneath. That's it!

"V-Vir...gil?" I popped my head up from behind the couch and smiled. "Where..."

"Home... or well my old one." Patton shakily sat up and looked around, his eyes going wide at the large hole in the wall. 

"It's a cave. We're in a cave." He looked over at me with such disbelief. "AND THIS WAS YOUR HOME?"

"It was... It's the best for me honestly. A cave is the most... fitting." He just shook his head grimacing at the dizziness he must be having. "Hey, Pat..." He looked up at me with a slight smile over me calling him some sort of nickname. "Can you come here or... are you still a little out of it."

"Out of it? What..." He stood up and started to sway until he grabbed the counter trying to stabilize himself. "What happened?"

"Come sit." I patted the cushion beside me and he stumbled over, practically falling on to the couch. "You can't do that Patton."

"What?" I looked over at him and his confusion melted at my concerned look. "What did I do?"

"It was cold. You were soaked. You should have been focusing on you and not..."

"You expected me to just leave a helpless man in the cold and wet to save myself."

"I was fine. I can't get cold. And I dried up a lot faster than you, which you would have known had you actually seen." His eyes went wide and he just stared at his hands, unsure what to say. "Look... I am... I don't I guess I could say I don't hate you."

"Gee thanks."

"That is a lot coming from me." The fact that I came back to this lace to save your life is more than enough I think. "I can't just let my walls. I literally just escaped hell. The last time I trusted someone..." I wound up chained to a wall... again.

"Virgil?"

"Have you ever heard of the Legend of Eragon?" He looked up at me with such confusion I started to laugh. "I'm asking because in it there are these 4 Druid priestesses."

"Yeah, my mother once said that they held this magic no one else possessed. But... I don't understand..."

"Did you know that when one dies their power is reincarnated into the next line of Druids?" Janus... He... I can't believe that he would get Lydia's. The bitch with the vine whips... And Patton... I looked over at him and his bright blue eyes glowed slightly. I don't think he even realized. "There is a lot I have to go over with you Patton."

"I don't understand."

"That's an understatement, but the fact remains. There is a lot you don't know." He just started fiddling with his thumbs and I frowned. "To start... The legend of Eragon was one big lie."

"What?"

"The Truth is, Legends are often wrong. They spin these tales of heroic princes and evil monsters making everything black and white. When in reality there is no hero... only monsters."