32. What do I do?

"Virgil, I promise. He's going to be ok. He assured us that he's done this before." I glared at him as I paced the cave. I knew something was wrong. No sensible man says he loves you when he thinks your sleeping. He was saying goodbye. He was telling me goodbye in a way that wouldn't set me off. DAMN IT! "VIRGIL!" 

I flinched as the lightbulb exploded and I sighed laying down. Patton went to say something but I hid my face under my wing and he sighed. I can't do this. I can't. I can't even sleep. Every time I try I have a nightmare. All I see is Jan taking Roman, hurting Roman... Killing Roman. I...

"Virgil, please. Talk to me." I hid under my wing more and Patton sighed. "I know you're scared. I know what your thinking but." STAY OUT OF MY HEAD! Patton winced as I glared at him. I don't care what you have to say right know Pat. Roman is there. WITH HIM! He is no different than his predecessor. "You said the same about me though too."

"Virgil, I only want to help." I groaned and moved over towards the cliffside, looking out at the morning sky. I know you do Patton but... I don't think you can. I'm stressed and anxious and angry and I just don't know what to do. I understand why you're having him do it. Ok, I do. If we tag him then you'll have something to focus on but, why him? Why didn't he tell me? He didn't he come here to say goodbye. He just left. "What are you so scared of?"

"Virgil?" I looked up to see Lydia standing there with a wicked smile. "What are you so scared of?"

"Y̷-̸Y̷o̶u̴.̶.̴.̴" She raised an eyebrow at me and laughed. I looked over to see Avery in the air tied up by vines, eyes wide and not breathing. She came to help and... and... "Y̵o̶u̷ ̷k̵i̸l̵l̷e̴d̵ ̸A̵v̴e̶r̸y̷.̵"

"No. You did." She walked over wrapping her arm around my neck and pointing up at the lost redhead. "The moment they chose you they all died. I'm the only one who sees through your act."

"W̵h̵a̷t̷ ̸a̸c̸t̷?̶" She sighed and pulled away, yanking me down till I was on my knees. 

"You're a monster. That's all you are. You disgrace the firestarters power that you inherited." She held up her hand letting a ball of pure light build. 

"VIRGIL! Snap out of it!" I jumped up banging my head against the wall and cried. "Sorry... Sorry. I didn't mean." I rolled my eyes and jumped down off the cliff. I love Pat. He's an amazing friend. But right now I want to be alone. I landed in the grass with a thud and looked up to see Patton just standing there. "It's ok, Kiddo. You go do what you have to do."

Do what I have to do? And what exactly is that? I'm at a loss. Roman is in Riverton actively trying to come into contact with Janus. I... I should be there. I should be at his side. But I can't. I can't because I'm a dragon... In dragon form. The suns up and so I'm stuck doing nothing to help him. To Help Roman. I just... I just want to help him. I want to keep him safe. He doesn't know who he's up against. He doesn't... Jan is no different. 

"Virgil..." Lightning flashed as I was suddenly standing there on the edge of a cliff. I looked down to see rapids raging against sharps. Rocks that will tear me apart. "Did you think you would get away this time?" 

"LYDIA STOP!" I looked over to see Luna struggling against transparent vines that held her captive. 

"You didn't think I'd FIND YOU?!" Lydia's eyes glowed yellow and Luna cried out as the vines got tighter. This is my fault. It's all my fault. Lya said not to go. But... But she was sick. She needed her family and now...

"Lydia." Lydia smiled widely revealing sharp fangs. I had to look away. She had snake scales on her face. Proof she's given in. She's becoming the very monster she hates in me. Ironic huh? To fight monsters, you tend to become them. 

"Don't even try to twist this around. I may look it but you're the snake that twisted their minds. I'm the one who'll finally finish you."

"And how many of your them are you going to kill off before you do?" Her eyes went wide as the red slowly started to come back for the first time in ages. "You killed Avery. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! Look at what you're doing to Luna."

"I told you. They're already dead. The moment they chose you." Luna's eyes went wide and I shook my head. All of this because they tried to help me. That all it was. They saw the me beneath the madness. All you ever saw was the fire.

"Lydia please. Let her go. Luna's done nothing wrong." Lyda frowned narrowing her eyes and I started to shake. I can't let another one of them die. I can't... Not when I can help. 

"Let her go? Why so she could interfer again? Virgil, I won't have anyone get in the way." I looked over at luna to see her glowing green eyes and I frowned. Avery's gone. Lya sick. Lydia lost it. Luna's the only one left... I can't...

"Let her go or else." Luna's eyes went wide as I stood myself up straighter. Lydia just laughed and the red got stronger as the panic rose. I can't die here. Luna cant die here. We're all Lya has left. I won't let her die alone like my brother. Like Thomas...

"Or what..." I cracked my neck and fire erupted around me.

"Or I'll kill you."

Pain shot through me and I opened my eyes to see I was in the great forest. Or what was left of it. I looked around in confusion, only for pain to run down my spine causing my to cry out. Something's wrong. Something is very wrong. 

"VIRGIL!" I looked up to see Patton running over to me, his eyes glowing blue and I froze. "Virgil it's Roman."