45. Aimon?

I found myself walking through this pitch blackness. I couldn't understand how I got here. The last thing I remembered was Roman. He asked me if I trusted him and then... I felt my face heat up at the memory of the kiss and I fell to knees. I practically squealed remembering how he smelt like roses and chocolate but tasted sweet like... like... mint ice cream. 

Literally my favorite kind...

I sprawled out on the ground and just laid there happy as can be. Roman didn't care. He saw that side of me. He saw that part and he didn't run. He helped me... He...

"Well, he is your rider." I jumped up looking around surprised at the sudden deep voice that intruded my thoughts. A tall man in a Victorian style coat and fedora started to walk out of the black. "Although, I doubt that young man could ever truly hate you regardless." He took his hat off and ran a hand through his white hair. "I must say white hair is a good look on you. Far better than me  I must admit."

"What? I don't..." The man snapped his fingers and the black melted away until we were standing in this big clearing filled with flower and had a pond. He gestured to the pond and I walked over to it confused. I looked down to see my reflection. My eyes went wide. I looked like I did before Lydia... before I... before...

"I'm glad we can actually talk now." I felt as he placed a hand on my back as he led me over to a tree to sit. He sat down leaning against the tree as he just stared up at the sky longingly. "Now that your curse is gone, thanks to that young shield of yours."

"Roman? I'm confused." He just laughed. It was so deep and loud it made the earth shake. "Who are you anyway? How do you know me?"

"My child... I know not how to answer that properly. My name is Aimon." His eyes went red and I fell back in shock. "Do not be afraid. I won't harm you."

"If you planned on hurting me, you could have done it already." I whispered snd he just started laughing again. 

"That is true. You put more thought into things than you let on don't you?" I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"Don't know how I should take that." I grumbled. This was getting slightly annoying. I have no clue where I am. Or who I am with for that matter. I don't like this. Where's Roman? What's going on? What happened with Jan? I watched as his smile fell and his eyes went dark. The man, Aimon as he said, sighed and blew a puff of smoke out into the air. 

"Listen, Kid, there are things I need to tell you. This I should have told you when you first awakened but couldn't because of that Projector." I tensed up and he smiled sadly. "First. I am Aimon the firestarter. The first of many. The original... you." 

"No fucking way." He shot me this look of confusion as I stared mouth agape in shock. There is no way this is the first firestarter. It can't be. It's just not possible, he's...

"Oh, but I am Virgil." He held his hand up and I watched as it sparked until finally catching fire. His eyes narrowed in thought and I ran a brushed my hair back still trying to process everything. It fell in front of my eyes and I smiled, at the white stands that just wouldn't stay put. "I am the very first of your incarnations."

"You're human." He narrowed his eyes in confusion and then they went wide.

"Ah, yes, well... I haven't always. This form was something I gained shortly after my love passed." His eyes darkened slightly as he smiled lovingly, dripping with grief. "I glad to see that even in death we are never apart. Sofie would be so proud of Roman. Just as I am of you."

"Proud... of me? That's impossible." I waved him off as I stood up and stretched. He just stared at me with this... I wouldn't say neutral... more patient expression. I walked back over to the pond and knelt down, dipping my hand into the cool water. It started to bubble right away, reacting to the difference in temperature. "There's no way anyone can be proud of me."

"That's where you're wrong." I looked up to see him towering over me and I frowned. He placed his hands on my shoulders and squeezed reassuringly. "And I'll show you just how much."

"Wait, what?" The world began to melt away and until I was in this room. My heart nearly stopped beating. My body went cold as I looked around, my memories running through my mind. I know this room. I know it. I...

"Brother?" I spun around to see a small bed tucked in the corner, a small gas-lit lamp providing the only light for them to see. I watched as this small frail looking child pulled himself up into a sitting position and smiled wide. "Is that you, Virgil?"

"Thomas?"