35. Painful pricks of the past(TW)

I knew I fell asleep. I fell asleep in his arms. It was warm and he was kind. He didn't leave me. He even said he loved me... twice. I haven't felt this good since... Since...

"Virgil?" I looked up to find Jan standing there with a big smile on his face. I wanted to scream... to run, but my body didn't listen to me. He reached out and I took his hand with a smile on my face. "I missed you."

"You were only gone a day." I laughed and he looked away sadly. "What's wrong?"

"My father has been pushing for this war against the southern kingdom. I keep trying to tell him it's not a good idea but..." I squeezed his hand and he looked back with a smile. "I know. You don't like talking about war."

"It's not a good memory. But I was more concerned about you." He pulled me in and lead me off somewhere whispering into my ears.

"I love you so much, Virgil." 

I wanted to throw up. He didn't love me at all. He loved the idea of me. A dragon boyfriend... someone he can control. The only one he loved was Kuro. His dragon... His only dragon!

"Virgil!" I jumped back and winced at the pain in my wings. I stood there in the arena looking back at the man that once held my heart, his eyes now at cold as a snake. I saw the cattle prod and I started to run praying I could get out but nothing. This place was made to hold dragons.

"Virgil, there is no escaping." He got closer and I just backed myself up into a wall. I was scared. Who wouldn't be? I had to... to... just to get out of the chains. Jan looked at my wings and scoffed. "Now I thought we spoke about this, hun." I growled at him and he just smirked. 

"To do that to yourself... It's almost like you hate me." He lashed out with the cattle prod and I fell back onto my wings. The sound I made crying out at the pain was enough to make Jan step back. "To go so far... You practically tore you wings off Virgil." He came over and sighed sticking me with the prod, listening to my screams as he did. "Even so I won't go easy on you."

I bit down hard on the cattle prod snapping it like a twig. Jan just narrowed his eyes at me. He took a step forward and pushed myself farther against the wall. I literally could not move. Everything was getting hazy from blood loss and I could feel the panic building. Everything was getting hot and I wanted to scream out. Jan just kept getting closer. I watched as he reached out moments from touching me. His hand brushed against my nose and everything went red immediately. I yelled out as body erupted in black flames.

"Shit!" He cried out as he stumbled back. "Virgil?" I swayed slightly as the lightheadedness started to cloud everything. It was going black. I tried to move, to run away again, but I took one step an fell forward. I just laid there crying as pain wracked through my body. I had ripped myself free from those chain for what... The most I did was burn there arena wall... Good luck getting that out. The flames died down as the black started to wash over me threatening to take me under. The last thing I saw before passing out was Jan standing over me with more chains.

"Shit. Virgil?" I opened my eyes and looked towards where I heard the sound. It sounded like Roman but... I took a deep breath smelling the air and my blood went cold. I felt my body warm up as the memories washed over me. Leave me alone. Just leave me alone!

"Roman I would move..." I snapped and sent a blast of fire at the owner of the smell. I don't care if he's dead. I smell him. I... I can't... Just go away!"... Like now!"

"I did tell you..." My ears perked up at the sound of a new voice. He... He sounds familiar but... I CAN'T SEE SHIT!

"Shut up, Remi! I'm just a little rusty is all. Roman dear..." WHY WON'T HE JUST LEAVE?! I was growling in no specific direction but I didn't care. I was scared. Burning metal... That... That was all I could smell. It was just burning metal. Father... I can't. "Do you mind trying to calm him down a bit."

"You know that doesn't help." So many voices. I feel like I should know them. I feel like I should be aware but... I just can't get his face out of my mind. The screaming... the fire... the dark. "When it comes to you he's just..."

"But he can't see him..." I twitched and felt the panic rise up more. I can't see. I'm at a disadvantage. They could use it against me. I felt tears well up in my eyes and I wanted desperately to call out. For Roman... he makes me feel safe. "I thought I mentioned it."

"You did but... I thought you were being metaphorical. Maybe He's being like Toph. She's blind but she sees through the vibration of her feet." When did The last airbender pop into the convo? THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING? "He is a dragon and their senses are incredibly strong."

"Whatever it is... If we could drown it out..." The person talking stopped and I started to shake. Drown it out? Drown what? I... I can't... JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! I snapped my tail back and lashed it out at the person that smells like burning metal again. He smells too much like Father. Why won't he just go away?

"Roman!" I narrowed my eyes as my tail hit something. It buzzed with energy and I frowned. God damn it! It's a fucking witch. 

"Emile is a witch, Roman. I thought you knew that. Why else would you seek him out?" I pulled my tail back and shook even harder. I wanted to hide. I wanted to scream. I was lost in the darkness and surrounded... Where's Patton? Where's Roman?

"I didn't know that! I didn't even seek him out. I saw him and remembered he was into the supernatural shit so I thought I would ask him some questions. THAT'S ALL!" I froze and looked up towards the voice. I was right. It did sound like Roman. Was he here? Was he here the whole time? "Virgil..." I could hear footsteps and I frowned, tensing up. "It's ok it's me."

"Roman..." I shook my head and took a step back. I didn't like this. I can't see anything.

"It's ok. You're ok." My eyes went wide as the smell hit me. I took a deep breath and just melted into it. Roses and Chocolate... I really was him. I pushed my nose out slightly, feeling it brush against his hand and I smiled. I moved my tail around him and used it to pull him in close. If he's here then I'm safe. He'll protect me. I know he will. "See, I told you, we're ok. I won't let anything bad happen."

"Roman..." I pulled Roman in closer and growled loudly. I could feel Roman tense up. He'll protect me... but I'll be damn sure to protect him. "Sorry... Shouldn't have spoken." No, you should've left!

"Dude, you're just pissing him off!" I stopped frozen in confusion and frowned. I know that voice somewhere. How? "The last thing you want is an angry dragon." I felt Roman pet me and I smiled leaning into his touch.

"I don't know why you don't like him." I looked down at him and he pushed himself farther into me. "But I asked him for some help. So if you could let him... for me. I don't know what to do, Virgil. Your leg is hurt badly. Your eyes... I just want to help you get better. But I can't."

"Roman..." I could feel Roman's pain and I felt the tears well up in my eyes. He's hurting because I'm hurting. I hate this so much.

"How about this? If you let Picani look at you, I'll take you out. Where ever you what? Whatever you want? Whatever it may be. Just us... together." Like... Like a date? An actual date with just the two of us alone?! I looked away as my heart started to race. An actual date with Roman... I felt myself smile and I laid my head down beside him. "I'll take that as a yes."