33. I always hated the dark

I was gone before Patton could say another word. He didn't have to. I could feel the pain Roman was in. I didn't need his thought projection to tell me what I already knew. Roman was in trouble, and by the shortness of breath and pain I was feeling, it was bad. 

I saw Riverton in the distance and my eyes went wide. I could see Roman just standing there frozen. He really is just like Lydia. He isn't afraid to use his powers against any of us. He isn't afraid to kill us.

"DRAGON!" I narrowed my eyes as I watched as people started running, panicking every which way. I couldn't care less about any of them. All I care about is Roman. I spotted Deceit on this stand and felt the rage start to burn in me. That asshole hurt MY ROMAN!

I saw the pain in his eyes and I wanted to slap it right off his face. Of course, if I did that in this form I'd kill him. I can't do that. EVEN IF I WANTED TOO! I landed wrapping myself round Roman, feeling the energy that was wrapped around him and growled.

"Dammit... It's a tr... SHIT!" Roman fell into the dirt and everything went red. I could feel myself start to shake. This isn't good. JAN LET HIM GO! 

I looked over to see Jan standing there holding a yellow ball of light and I freaked. I crouched down and started growling. I was warning him. I won't hesitate to fucking roast him. Suddenly Roman screamed out and my eyes went wide. It was a like this bubble surrounded Jan. I watched as the light disappeared and as soon as Roman stood up the bubble was gone.

I was just frozen. The bubble was purple... It was... purple but... I'm confused. Avery's dead. She's gone. The shield has been gone for so long. Why is her power showing up now?! I felt Roman try to push me but I could tell he was hurt and weak.

"Vir..." I shot a black blast at Jan without even bothering to look up at him. I had enough. This is insane. Roman is hurting. I need to focus on him right now.

"You have to go." I am not going anywhere. I can't. I... I don't what you to... Forget it. I watched as Roman started to look around and suddenly his face went serious. He jumped up on to my back for only the second time ever and I couldn't help but smile. He did it himself. I didn't force him. He must really want me to get out of here. I shook myself out, letting my wings spread and took to the air not even looking back.

I could feel Roman getting antsy as he started to shake. I went to turn to see when this blast hit my leg. It was the first time anything actually burned. I cried out as it felt like my leg was being torn up. I felt Roman tense up and my min instant went to him. If I go down now, he's going to get hurt. I have to get him home.

Honestly, I blacked out. The pain got so bad. Everything was red and the burning spread throughout my body. The Last thing I remembered was Roman yelling at me. I couldn't even really hear it though. Next thing I know I'm doing a fucking barrel roll into my home. My back hit the wall and everything went black.

Everything hurt. Everything burned. I couldn't see. I could feel someone next to me. Their hand on mine but I just saw black. I didn't know if I was awake or not. Time seemed to move around me but I was frozen. The pain only got worse. This was punishment... right? But for what? Since Lya died I've been trying so hard. Since Patton, I haven't even snapped once. 

Pain shot up my leg and I seized up. Janus... It had to be. He had Lydia's power. No, correction. He was Lydia. He's her reincarnation. He's the projector. Ironic isn't it? I fell in love with Lydia's successor. And just like her, He must have cursed me. It makes sense. His power is curse projection. It seems he's awakened it fully... We are in so much trouble. 

Patton doesn't even have control over his, let alone awakened it. Lya went through her life covering her eyes as to not use her vision but even then... She never fully awakened. The clairvoyant. The Druid with true sight. Luna told me once that the first Clairvoyant was blind. That they were given their power as a way to truly see the world around them, better than anyone else. 

She also told me about the first firestarter. According to her, he was an actual dragon. He protected the humans against his own kind because he fell in love with one. And even after his love died he took it upon himself to protect her child. His last dying wish was to be able to keep his promise to his love even after his death. 

How did that, become me. How did that unyielding love and loyalty, turn into insanity and fear? Lydia was right... I was not worthy of the power. And if I never got it, maybe none of what happened would have. Of course, then I would never have met Roman. Silver lining... I guess.

I can't stop thinking about what happened in Riverton. The bubble... Jan's power being nullified. The shield... Avery she always was fastest out of us all. She really did live up to her title. She used her power to shield us even from Lydia until she lost. She lost. Meaning she died and got reincarnated as all Druids do but... who? how? when? Why did her power show up there?

And if The Shield was reincarnated then does that mean so was The Astral? Luna... She lived the longest out of all of them. She stayed with me until the very end and I never thought that I would see any of them again. My family... The only one I ever cared about. Besides Thomas of course. My little brother was and will always be the only light brighter than the sun itself.

Not that I could see anything right now. All it is black. Just unending darkness and pain.