22. Beginnings of a chat

"Virgil?" I looked up to see the King looking back at me. I looked over to see Roman over talking to Logan and I frowned. Patton literally fell asleep at the table, and I brushed the hair out of his eyes. The stress must have gotten to him. He'd stay up most nights with me, and then go shopping and shit in the morning. I don't even know when he gets to sleep. "Virgil... do you mind taking me to my room? I would like to talk with you." 

"With me?" The king nodded and I sighed. Well, what better way to get to know the man your son just brought to dinner. I smiled and got up, grabbing his wheelchair after straightening myself out. "Of course. Should I let.."."

"No. I do not believe you want Roman to know of certain things... quite yet." My vision went slightly red and I remained silent as I took him out of the dining room. Much to my surprise Roman didn't say anything. He probably didn't even know I had left. Which is fine, as I don't know what his father plans to bring up. "In here..." I pulled him into a bedroom and marveled at the ornate designs. I never was one for gold and glitter. If you couldn't tell... I'm emo. I pushed him over to his bed and helped him into it, despite his insistence that I do not need to help him. He obviously needs help. I wasn't going to just ignore it and let him struggle.

"So what did you want to talk about?"

"You not from here are you?" My eyes darkened and he just sighed. "I figured that much. You can tell from your appearance. Same with your friend."

"How does Patton..."

"His Blonde hair... Blue eyes. Those are trait often seen in Ceit. Especially the royal family. Not so much elsewhere. Your black hair, however." I cringed. My hair is unique. The silver showed up as I got older, the more I used my power, the more silver it turned. The one good thing about the curse, it turned it black. Not all of it but still... "I've never seen anything like it."

"I knew a man and a woman with mismatched eyes. Surely my hair isn't that shocking." He laughed and I frowned. Why did I even bring them up? It's like I'm trying to make it worse. "You are correct though I am not originally from your kingdom." Though the area is much less mine. When my kingdom went up in smoke the surrounding kingdoms sort of branched out. They took parts of my home and integrated into there's. Edawin took most of the land. While Ceit was content with our inventions and our tools... or weaponry. They were a waring kingdom after all.

"Your crying." I looked up at him and jumped back, wiping the tears from my eyes. What the hell, Virgil. Why would you start crying like that? No, he's going to think your insane and... "Penny for your thoughts?"

"What?"

"You were obviously thinking about something. Something that made you cry. I'd like to know what." His eyes were soft and I sat down beside him unsure what to say.

"I was..." I shook my head and rubbed my arm again lost in thought. "I was thinking about war."
His eyes went wide and he nodded, ushering me to continue. "I was thinking about home." I looked over at the door and groaned. "I was thinking of when I met Patton."

"Oh?" 

"He... He's a very kind man, sir. And I'm certain that if they can just talk it out. He and Logan would realize how much they still care. Patton is the type of man that would give up everything to save someone he never met. He's kind-hearted and caring and the perfect parent, like honestly. I know how much Logan means to him. I know how much this place means to him..."

"I've never met a man so willing to talk so highly of someone else. When you yourself are in the same position." I gave him this confused look and he smiled at me. "You both are in love with my sons, but instead of telling me why I should let you be with Roman, your fighting for Patton and Logan."

"Don't get me wrong. I care for your son deeply but..." I looked away and started to fidget with my hands. "I am not a good man. I know better than anyone that Roman deserves better. I don't want to drag him down."

"And that right there is why you're perfect for him." I looked up at him in shock and he laughed. He pointed at this picture on his dresser and I got it for him before he could ask.  He brushed his hand over the frame and smiled sadly. "Her name was Evalyn." I looked over to see the photo was of him and this woman. She had the same red hair Roman did. Her eyes a light hazel... The king just handed the picture over to me with a smile on her face. "She was the daughter of this kindom in the south. It was not a nice kingdom. War, theives... death... it was roting. She did what she had to to keep her people safe, even going so far as to break every law she knew to learn how to fight."

"She learned to protect... That's not what happened with me." He laughed as I handed the picture back over and I sighed.

"It's almost like your trying to get me to hate you." No... Not hate... fear. I ran a hand through my hair and looked up at the ceiling. "Look, Eva knew what she did. She was a fighter, a warrior on the front lines for her people. She even fought against my own family." I looked over at him and he nodded. "Killed many of my people. But I still loved her."

"How? How can someone love a killer so easily?" His eyes narrowed as he looked at me. I just stared at my own hands as they shook. How can someone willingly love me if they ever found out what I did? What I could still do? Lya pulled me out of that insanity but it's still there. That part of me still follows me waiting for me to snap... waiting for me to...

"Virgil?" I looked up at him and his frown grew more. "I don't know what it is you've done. And yes it frightens me to hear you refer to yourself like that."

"I'm sorry, I should just..."

"We aren't done talking!" I tensed up and looked over at him. He rolled up his sleeves, obviously hot and I cringed at the black veins on his wrist. " I want to know who you are. Not who you were. Anyone can see you've been through a lot. Your eye is proof of that..." I looked away and brushed my hair over my scared eye. The same eye Jan cut with my own fucking knife. The same eye I now can't see out of in human form. He reached out pulling my hands down and smiled at me. "I never meant to make you feel self-conscious about it."

"You didn't... It just... brings back bad memories." He nodded and I sighed. "So why exactly did you pull me away cuz I'm not..."

"Your friend... Patton... He's from Ceit isn't he?"