27. It's only getting worse.

"Who the f̸u̶c̷k̸ are you, and what the f̸u̶c̷k̸ are you doing here?" The man spun around and threw his arms up the moment he saw me. " I said... W̵h̶o̶ ̵a̸r̷e̶ ̵y̵o̶u̴?̵"

"Your voice..." I practically growled and his eyes went wide. "Samuel... Sam... My name is Sam." I crossed my arms and he gave me he awkward smile.

"What are you doing here, S̶a̶m̴?̵" He dropped his arms and rubbed the back of his neck slightly embarrassed.

"I'm looking around, obviously." I shot him a look and he laughed. "I was looking for a trinket."

"Why?"

"Why does it matter?" The red came back and he took a step back. "I want something to pass down, ok? To give to my son when he's older. I... I thought something from our land's history was perfect."

"So your either sentimental..." He looked away and I groaned. "... or just plain stupid."

"Hey!" I rolled my eyes and looked around. I felt my skin crawl and I hugged myself. "Back off ok, you're obviously here for some reason."

"You aren't going to find anything of value in here." I said as I leaned up against the wall trying to steady my breathing. I could feel my body start to twitch as my vision kept flashing red. Being in this room was a very bad idea. "I'll show you to the vault. I'm sure it should be intact. Can we just..."

"Why won't I find anything in here?" He shot me this look and I inched toward the door. 

"This is the son's bedroom." His eyes went wide and I ran out of the door. The voices slowly coming back to scream in my head. I sat on the steps and gripped my chest. In for 4 seconds. Hold for seven seconds. Out for 8 seconds. You are more than your insanity. Don't let it take you back. Don't let it...

"Hey, are you ok?"

"Shit!" I jumped up and nearly fell back. Sam reached out catching my arm before I could fall and pulling me up. "D̴o̷n̸'̶t̵.̸.̴.̴ ̸ Don't scare me like that. Please." He took a step back and held his hands up again. I just sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Sorry. I'm just... I'm on edge."

"Was it that room?" I looked behind at the room and felt everything start to shake. Sam quickly pulled me downstairs and far enough away so it was out of sight. 

"W-Wait.. I'm a l-little c-confused." I looked up to see the king sitting there with a smiled. I frowned abit as he coughed. His skin was pasty and he was slicked with sweat. He should be laying down right now. I gave him a look and he just shrugged holding out a very shaky hand. I jumped up and brought the cup of water over to him as he took a sip from the straw.  When he was done I placed the cup back and sat back down in the chair.

"What were you confused about, Sir?" 

"My father never handed anything down to me." I narrowed my eyes and he just looked away. "N-not that I..." He started coughing again and I tensed up. "Not t-that I-I care... I'm j-just conf...fused."

"Well, I don't know what to say about that, Sir. Because he was adamant about passing down a piece of history. At least that's what he told me." His eyes started to flutter so I pulled his blankets up around him and watched as his shallow breathing evened out. "Ok, so where was I?"

"Hey... You still with me... HEY!" I snapped out of it and looked up to see a very worried man standing over me. I looked around to see I was sitting in a pile of rubbish. "You back?"

"What happened?" He smiled and stood up brushing his hair back.

"You had me worried there, kid." I glared at him and his smile fell.

"I am not a kid. Trust me on that. What happened?"

"You blanked, that's what happened." I narrowed my eyes in confusion and he just shrugged. "We were making our way to this vault or whatever and you sort of. Broke?"

"Why would I..." I froze when I realized where we were. "Oh... That's why." I got up and walked over to the blackened wall in front of me. The dusted blackened shadow of two people on the wall of nearly melted brick. A small smile began to form on my face and I laughed. "F̴u̴c̵k̷e̷r̷s̸." I pulled away and kept walking. If I stayed any longer I might snap. Sam just threw his arms out confused at everything going on.

"What was that?" I looked back to see him looking back toward the wall. I rolled my eyes and pushed past the debris of another wall. "Seriously, what was so upsetting about shadows on a wall?" I froze and spun around, a look of disbelief on my face. "What?"

"Shadows on a wall?" He just gave me this confused look and shook my head. "Do you not know what made those so called shadows?" He shook his head no and I groaned. "Do you know anything about what happened here?"

"There was an explosion. Look, I came here to learn. I want to bring back a piece of our history because he shouldn't ever forget it. Other than that, I am upset to say I... I don't know." I facepalmed. This literal moron, came here without knowing anything. "Hey, If you know everything then you tell me." I raised an eyebrow at him and he crossed his arms. 

"Seriously?" He nodded and I scoffed. "Fine. That room you were snooping in belonged to their eldest son. That blackened wall the shadows was actually the sight of the so-called explosion as you said and those shadows were an echo of the king and queen. That's where they stood when the place went up in flames." The red came back as the screams started to return. "Shit... I really shouldn't have come back here."

"Come Back?" I shook my head and kept walking. I don't know why I am even leading him to the vault. My father was a man of few treasures. My mother was the one who preferred her jewel and they all got stolen the first year. The only things in the vault were... doesn't matter. I noticed something in the rubble and I stopped. I moved some things around until I was finally able to pick up this doll. I brushed back the puffy hair and smiled. I looked around until I found what I was looking for and placed the tattered hat on its head. "What's that?"

"My brothers..." My smile fell and I put the doll back down putting my hands in my pockets and continuing on. "Forget it... It's just over here."

"Oh... ok." I just rolled my eyes as made my way to a door I couldn't forget even if I wanted to. I just stood there. "Is that it?" I nodded and Sam reached out to open the door, when I grabbed his arm. "Hey, what..."

"Don't..." I felt the tears fall from my face and Sam backed up. I slowly reached out hesitantly touching the handle feeling the cold touch of the metal. I smiled as the tears fell from my face and evaporating before it could touch the ground. Very few things feel cold to me. I think it was more the memory of the cold that I'm feeling but still... It felt nice. I took a deep breath and slowly opened the door. "Hello, again brother."