- chapter nine -

09 | Hyemi's Boyfriend

Jae couldn't believe her ears. This was insane. She pulled Hyemi by her arms and bowed apologetically at Hoseok, who remained frozen after hearing his girlfriend's request. Hyemi was trying to struggle out of Jae's grip but the artist had her arms tightened around her friend.

"Are you out of your mind?" Jae asked when the two were outside. She let go of her friend who straightened her shirt. "He's your boyfriend."

"Look, Jae. A boyfriend would not go kissing around another girl."

"It might not be him. I said he is someone who attended the party. I didn't say we kissed."

"But there is a high possibility."

"Hye, I know you are mad at me but-"

"Why would I be mad at you?"

"What? You are not?"

"Jae, you were clearly drunk. You can't even remember who you kissed. It's not your fault. Besides, you felt some sort of sparkles when you kissed, right?"

"Yeah?" Jae nodded as she was trying to get her point.

"Exactly! I should be helping you to find him and even if it is Hoseok, I would break up with him for you. We are like sisters, Jae."

"Hye..."

"Now is not the time to be touched. I need to head back to the office so you settle it yourself. Tell me afterwards, okay?"

"Thanks."

"Anytime, babe."

Jae went back to the idol's studio after feeling thankful towards her friend for understanding. She was about to enter the room when she found Hoseok talking with his manager at the corner. He noticed her and gestured her to go in first.

A minute later, Hoseok came in and immediately stroke a question at her.

"What was that all about?"

"Well," Jae scratched the tip of her nose and let out a sigh. She explained everything to him so that he actually had a brief background of the situation.

"So, you think I am one of those boys who could have kissed you at the party."

"I don't mean it that way. It's just that-"

"It's alright, Jae. All of us were probably drunk but I would never take such action, especially towards my girlfriend's best friend."

Jae noticed the tone of Hoseok's voice changing into a weaker and softer one. She seriously didn't want to make a big deal out of this and she had a feeling that Hoseok might overthink and break down soon because he had always been the sensitive type.

"Hoseok, don't worry. You and Hyemi are like the cutest couple alive. Also, it's not like we had anything or you like me or something."

"Jae, I do like you."

"You what?"

Jae didn't know how to react to that. Everything just went blank and she stared at Hoseok who was looking straight into her eyes.

"Jae, I-"

Just as he was trying to walk towards her, he tripped over the wires that were laying on the floor and ended up touching her lips in the midst.