- chapter twentyfour -

24 | It's okay to love

Time seemed to have stopped when Taehyung kissed Jae. Silence filled up the room and the beats of their hearts got louder. Her throat went dry and she felt sick to the guts. The desperation in Taehyung's eyes when he held her in his arms and the way he kissed her like he didn't wish to let her go were the same as the time he kissed her back at the party.

Jae pressed her hands against his chest and tried to push him away but she was feeling too weak. Noticing her feeling uneasy, Taehyung parted his lips. He stared into her eyes as a tear rolled down his cheeks.

"Why did you break up with me, Jae?"

She didn't answer. Both of them knew it but Jae still couldn't let the words roll off her lips.

"When I proposed, was I pushing too much? Were you not ready? If so, I will wait even if it takes forever. Just- just don't show me such a cold face whenever you look at me and please don't walk away from me without saying anything."

Jae wanted to tell him that was not the case. It was true that she wasn't ready to accept the proposal but it wasn't his fault. It was her own.

With things that went on with her parents, she knew that people move on so quickly and feared that it would be the same case for her. Her parents loved so much yet when death came to take her mother away, her father didn't even wink and went to another. It was obviously because he had already set his eyes on his lover.

Naturally, she feared of falling too much.

"I'm sorry." That was the only thing she managed to say.

The ringing of the phone echoed throughout the empty apartment and Jae stared at the ceiling with tired eyes. She hadn't slept a wink.

Taehyung just patted her head fondly like he always did and his eyes only showed affection. He told her it was alright and left.

Recalling his look, Jae couldn't help but feel guilty.

"Ugh! I shouldn't be feeling this way."

Jae sat down at the very end of the corner with her hands full of canvases. With her tired eyes, she looked at the other who seemed amused by her sight. Her lips twitched.

"You didn't have to bring all those to me. I could've asked someone to take those."

"Shut up."

"Sensitive, aren't you?"

Jae just stared at Seokjin who was trying to tease her until she decided to give him a punch in the face but wouldn't do so because he is handsome. However, Jae couldn't bother to think any of those because her mind kept wandering back to the night before.

"So, what brought you here?" Seokjin snapped her out from her thoughts.

"Well..."

"You are here for love advice, aren't you?" Seokjin winked and goosebumps crawled all over Jae's arms. She knew he was going to tease her and she couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm leaving!"

"What is holding you back?"

"What?"

"I'm talking about Taehyung."

"What about him?"

"You don't love him? I mean he loves you like a lot."

"I don't feel the same."

"There's nothing wrong with loving someone, Jae. I know you love him so why don't you give him a chance?"

Seokjin knew how stubborn Jae could be when it came to feelings so he only had one way left to force her to come to the obvious conclusion.