25

Jack and I texted all throughout the next day. It was nice to have a constant line of communication. It felt different then its ever felt before. I feel like we are getting closer. I really don't want that to happen. With that comes the eventual letdown of nothing coming of it.

Mom and I spent all day preparing and setting up the house. People were coming over starting at 10 am tomorrow. My grandparents are coming in tonight, so we had to set the bedroom up too. We live in a decently sized apartment for the city. It's bigger than most, but I don't know how my mom expects to fit 20 people in here. We can move couches all we want, but theres still going to be someone sitting in the bathroom. I'm kidding, but might as well be.

Jack stopped over after his rehearsal. He probably shouldn't have. Mom had him moving everything. Apparently my cheerleading background wasn't good enough for her. I sat on the kitchen counter watching him move things as she directed him.

My dad walked through the door with my grandparents. I hopped off the counter to go give them hugs and kisses and then went back to my perch on the counter, where I was slowly shoving my face with this popcorn mix.

"Take that chair up to Annie's room. It's going to have to go there for now." My mom ordered Jack.

"You want some help with that Jack?" my dad asked.

"Yeah, just to make sure I don't hit anything on my way up the stairs."

My mom joined me in the kitchen and my grandparents followed behind her. "Don't eat all of that before tomorrow." she scolded me, as if she wasn't also now shoving her face.

"Who's the young man that knows where Annie's room is upstairs?" my grandma asked.

"Annie's friend Jack. He's famoussssss." my mom responded.

"MOM! He's not famous." I said. "Don't let him hear you say that!"

"Well he is. He's performing on the parade tomorrow. That kind of makes him famous."

"The parade?" My grandma exclaimed. The Macy's Parade?"

I shushed them as Jack came down the stairs. "Water?" I asked, throwing a bottle at Jack. He was sweating. I felt so bad...I think my mom made him move every piece of furniture in the house. Our dining room table isn't light and he pushed it like a champ.

"Jack, are you staying for dinner?" my mom asked.

"I wasn't planning on it." he responded.

"Well you're more than welcome to. We're ordering from the Italian restaurant down the block."

"Well if you insist Mrs. Tabler."

"Do you have a change of clothes? You can shower upstairs if you want. Dinner will be here in an hour." my mom told him. "Annie, go get him a towel and show him how to turn the shower on. It can be tricky."

I walked with Jack upstairs and got a towel out of the linen closet. We went into my bathroom and I showed him how to turn the shower on. I closed the door behind me as I left the room and made my way downstairs. Not even 2 minutes later, I heard Jack yell from the shower.

"Annie?? I need your help. The shower is freezing and I don't know how to fix it."

I made my way upstairs and into the bathroom. I walked in and Jack peeked his head out of the shower. I reached my hand in and turned the knob towards the wall to make it hotter. Jack grabbed my hand and pulled me into the shower.

"Jack! What are you doing?" I said as I quickly turned him around so he was under the shower head. "I can't go downstairs with wet hair. My grandparents are here!"

I got out of the shower and immediately went to my room to change. I figured I'd just tell them that I knew I'd be eating a lot, and wanted to put on stretchy pants. I threw my hair up in a bun and went downstairs.

"Annie. Can you bring up my bag?" Jack yelled once again from the bathroom.

"Ugh." I signed really loud as I got up and dragged his bag behind me up the stairs.

"What's going on with them?" I heard my grandma ask my mom.

"Nothing. They met early this year, and have been hanging out since."

"Doesn't sound like nothing." my grandma said back.

"Mom. Please."

"You let them hang out in her room together?" my grandma asked.

"Ma, she's 21 years old. What am I supposed to do? Put a baby monitor in there. I trust her. And he's a good kid."

My mom really had my back. Damn. Would she be saying that if she knew what we were about to do in my room?

"Dinner!" my mom yelled up.

All we were doing was making out, but I still felt all disheveled and uncomfortable.

We ate dinner and Jack kept touching my thigh under the table. That was cute...but I slapped it away several times. "My grandparents are sitting right across from us." I whispered to him. He wasn't doing anything under the table, his hand was literally just sitting on my lower thigh, might as well have been my knee.

Jack decided to leave after dinner. He had an early call for the parade in the morning, so I walked him downstairs. "Thank you for dinner. I'll see you guys tomorrow" Jack said as he shook my dad and grandpa's hands and hugged my grandma and my mom. I walked him down to the lobby, where his Uber was waiting. Usually he kisses my forehead, but tonight, he kissed my lips. "See you tomorrow!" He said.

"Goodluck tomorrow! I'll be watching!!!" I said before I gave him another kiss. He turned and walked out of the building and got into his Uber.

"So....? Is he your boyfriend?" my grandma asked as I sat down next to her at the table."

"No!"

"Why not? He seems to really like you. I saw the way he looked at you at dinner."

My grandma and I have always been close. She just kind of gets me!

"He just got out of a toxic relationship and he's not looking to start a new one. And I'm not looking for a relationship either."

"So you guys are just "hanging out"?" She said hanging out with air quotes, so I knew she meant hooking up.

"Oh. My. God. Grandma!! No!!! I'm going to bed. Goodnight. See you in the morning." I laughed my way up the stairs....then I passed out.