49

I froze. I didn't know what to say to him. I sat there for probably 3 minutes in the most awkward, awkward silence you could imagine.

"Whoa. You want to move here? Mitch, we've been seeing each other for 2 months. I've seen you 3 times in those two months and now you want to move here and be with me? Are you sure that's the smartest thing to do?"

It sounded like I didn't want him to. I mean don't get me wrong, I would love it if Mitch moved here, I would get to see him more and who knows, maybe we would make a good couple. But I'm not over Jack 100% so I can't fully see myself happy with Mitch until I get closure with Jack.

"Of course I like you Mitch. And I love spending time with you. But I made myself a promise that if I ever had even the tiniest bit of feelings for someone, I wouldn't let them slide by unnoticed."

I could see the hurt in his eyes. It's like I just shattered his heart all over his matzo ball soup. I hated this. I hate hurting people. Why is it always me. He wouldn't look up from his soup and I could feel the tears forming in my eyes. I quickly and without a word took my wallet out, took out a $20 bill, put it on the table and ran out the door.

I've cried in front of Mitch before, but it was never over him. It was always over Jack. I always cry over Jack. Mitch has never made me cry. Not even today. Today I'm crying, because I made myself cry. Because I hated myself. I hated the situation I was in. I hated Jack for texting me. I hated Mitch for making me choose. I just wanted to go home and cry. So I did.

I skipped class and had Joey bring me all of my work later. I went home, crawled into bed and cried for what seemed like hours. It was only 45 minutes but it was a long, and lonely 45 minutes.

I ended up taking a 5 hour nap. I woke up to many texts from Mitch asking if I was ok. He said he was going to come over after work to check on me since I hadn't texted him back but I didn't want that. To be honest I don't know what I want.

Well...I do want to see Jack, so I guess I do know what I want. It was rude to do this to Mitch but he can't just be like "hey I want to move here and be with you".

I decided to text Jack back before Mitch. That right there should tell you how I feel.

To: Jack
Hey

From: Jack
Hey Annie, what's up?

To: Jack
Just took a very much needed nap. How about you?

From: Jack
We just got off the plane. It's like you knew I was thinking about you.

To: Jack
I'm good like that.

From: Jack
Always have been. So what's up?

To: Jack
Nothing. I was just thinking about your text last night...about getting dinner. If the offer still stands, I would love to get dinner with you.

From: Jack
I for sure thought you were going to say no because of Mitch, but I'm glad you didn't. Ok so do you want to go tonight or tomorrow night? Or both...you decide.

To: Jack
Doesn't matter to me.

From: Jack
Alright. Let's go tonight and see how that goes before we make plans for tomorrow.

To: Jack
Sounds good. Where do you want me to meet you?

From: Jack
I'll come pick you up at 830

To: Jack
Not a good idea. Just tell me where to meet you.

I didn't want him to come pick me up. My parents are here and they aren't the biggest fans of him so I don't want them knowing I'm going out with him.

From: Jack
Okay? Meet me at Carmine's. The reservation is under Jack.

Ok so 830 at Carmine's. That leaves me 45 minutes to get ready so I'm there on time. I am trying to go for the "I'm not trying too hard" look. I don't want him to think I'm jumping back into his arms. By no means am I, but you never know what spark could still be there.

"Mom, I'm going to Joeys." I yelled down the hallway before I went downstairs. I called an Uber and waited out front for it.

I wondered in the car if I should text Mitch and see what was up. He did say he was going to come over after work, but he got out of work a couple of hours ago and he never showed up. Should I text him to make sure he's ok?

To: Mitch
I decided to grab dinner with Jack. I know you don't understand why, but I need to for myself. Please respect that. I'm not trying to hurt you, but I'm also not trying to hurt myself.

We pulled up in front of the restaurant and it is crowded. There's a ton of people waiting out front and of course some paparazzi. I'm starting to think Jack calls the paparazzi himself because why would they show up at a restaurant at 830pm on a Wednesday. It doesn't make sense.

I turned my face away from them and walked in. Thank god they didn't see me, I don't want my picture taken tonight, with Jack.

I walked in and he was already sitting at the table. Is it possible to get hotter in 2 months, because he most definitely did. I walked over to the table, he stood up, gave me a hug, and pulled out my chair.

He already ordered me a white wine which he knew was my favorite with Italian food. As I sat down, it was a little awkward. We didn't leave things on the best terms and we haven't spoken in a couple of months. There's clearly a lot to talk about, but no one knows where to start. So he starts it.