Zayn-17

Cover by namelessazre

I was laying face up on my bed reading James Patterson's Along Came a Spider, when my dad opened the door till its limits. He has been doing this for the past few weeks in the hopes of catching me raping a nun one day, I think.

'Hey dad'. I croaked out.
'Zayn, shouldn't you be asleep?'
'I guess I should but I did that all day so I'm kind of spent'.
He coughed awkwardly and I realized my mistake.
'That came out wrong'.

'Whatever. You shouldn't be reading with such dull lighting, that's why your eye defect keeps getting worst'.
'I can see just fine, besides it can't get any worse'.
'It actually can but you never listen so what's the point? Don't stay up all night'. He said and closed the door.
'Now back to the mystery'. I muttered as I returned to the book I had been reading.

A few minutes later, my laptop went off notifying me of an incoming Skype call. I moved to my desk. It was Lauren.
'Finally you answered. Are you avoiding me? I feel like you no longer want to talk to me. Do you think I'm too old for you now?'I rolled my eyes at her senseless rant.
'Now that you've gotten that out of your system, can I see baby Carl?' She frowned.

'No. as punishment for ignoring me, you won't get to see my bundle of joy'.
'Come on Lauren, you can't separate an uncle from his nephew'.
'Whatever, you've got ten seconds'.
With that she bent down and picked up Carl who must have been playing on the floor. His tiny fingers began pressing the keys on his mother's system.

'Come on, look here. Say hello to your uncle'. Lauren said pointing at me and he followed her hand, finally looking at me.
'Hey there little warrior'. I cooed and a big grin broke out on his cute face. He reached out and touched the screen and I smiled.
'Do you see? It's uncle Zayn!' his mother coddled.
'Uncle Zayn'. He said but since he has no teeth it came out like; unpoo jainn.
'Time's up!' Lauren screamed and put Carl back on the floor.

'Okay attention seeker. What do you want?' I asked
'I would be offended but I am an attention seeking bitch. Oh! I didn't notice, you have your cute glasses on'.
'I was reading'. I stated, taking the glasses off.
'I forgot you are a nerd'.
'The girls love me'.
'Sadly'.
'The guys want to be me'.
'If only they knew. How is dad? I just spoke to him like an hour ago. How are things with you two?'

'He takes me to the hospital twice a week to run tests, you know, just to be sure I'm not getting high behind his back. I'm still grounded. He stalks my room every second that I am home and sooner than later, he'll have secret service monitoring every move I make when I'm outside the house'.
She laughed.

'Dude, he is not going easy on you'.
'Tell me about it. I feel like I'm being prepped for jail'.
'Shut up, it's not that bad. It will die down soon, give it a month. You know dad loves you'.
'I know'.
'And I love you'.
'Of course you do'.
'And Meghan loves you'.
'When elephants fly'.
'Already happened'.
'Lies'.

'Whatever but you two have chemistry'.
'That's all it is'.
'Is that all you want it to be?'
'Stop pushing it, Laura'.
She raised her hands up in defense.
'Just being an older sister here. You two look cute together'.
'She has a boyfriend'.
'As long as there is no ring on that finger, she is still very much available'.
'Christ, stop please'.

'Okay okay'. She chuckled. 'You look cute when you blush'.
'I will end this call right now'.
'No you won't, coz I already did'. And she was gone. The crazy bitch.

I returned to my bed but couldn't find the zeal to read anymore so I picked up my phone. I would've texted Jake but he has been acting weird since the party last night. I seriously wish I knew what his problem was, he couldn't have broken up with his girlfriend, he has none that I know of but that nasty hickey? If that is how people break up then I'll say it's not that bad. Did someone say something bad to him? They wouldn't dare, the guy is very muscular and frightening when he manages to stop smiling. My last resort is to simply go beat the truth out of him later.

My phone beeped in my hand.

Meg-hen: Your sister is paying me to text you. She said to ask what's on your mind.

So that's why she ended the call.

Me: how did she get your number?

Meg-hen: Your mom, duh. If you have nothing to talk about can you just let her know I messaged you so I can get my payment?

Me: You have no shame captain.
Meg-hen: I always leave it at the field after practice

Me: so, I was surprised to see your boyfriend at a highschool party

Meg-hen: He might not be in highschool but he is still a horny teenager.
Me: oh really? That's a nice piece of info.

Meg-hen: Hormonal!
Meg-hen: Hormonal teenager! Damn auto-erect.
Meg-hen: I meant hormonal teenager!!

Me: I like the other one better
Meg-hen: Fuck you Rodriguez
Me: oh but you already did.
Meg-hen: Goodnight

Me: Do you want your payment or not?
Meg-hen: I just remembered. I do have a question and before I ask, just wanted to remind you that you are under the no secrets, no lies promise.
Me: Creepy much? I already told you my deepest, darkest secret which isn't really a secret so what could be so serious?

Meg-hen: what happened between Jake and Katie? I mean I know he cheated on her but with who? There's more to it right?

Me: even I do not know. I tried asking him but dude is as secretive as a priest. I would press him for it but that'd be weird. Why do you want to know anyway? Can't you just ask Katie?

Meg-hen: No special reason and no, I can't ask her because I do not want to open up old wounds.
Me: I thought she'd have told you girls about it. All girls talk about is boys right?
Meg-hen: You are not the only one with a priestly friend and no, boys do not take up even a quarter of our conversation.
Me: whatever you say. Goodnight captain
Meg-hen: This was the easiest way to make money.

I smiled and placed my phone on the bedside drawer before snuggling deeper into my pillow. Falling asleep had become easier since I told Meghan about Freya and the night terrors have reduced considerably.

As I dozed off I heard Malik laughing along with June in their room and again I smiled. Don't get me wrong, his laughter is far from pleasant and definitely not musical, more like a dog's bark and cat's meow mixed together but it was a sound rarely heard in our house and I was happy to hear it.
Honestly, I had been worried when he married June for our parents' sake.

Everything he does is either for our parents or the business, he rarely smiled, never socialized, isolated himself in the basement and drowned in paperwork. It was nice to see him begin to laugh, love and live for himself. June has suddenly become someone I am very grateful to have in my family. Her velvet cupcakes give her extra points.

My phone beeped and I groggily picked it up. It was a text from tattered

Boss thinks you are the right man for the job. Don't fuck this up

I didn't know the details but from all I've been able to gather, this job requires taking a life and I will never do that.
Never ever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Special dedication to JosphineMwendwa for all your votes

I appreciate you all silent readers and I pray you find your voice soon😘