Meghan-35

Three chapters were uploaded

Pokello was out of the car with lightning speed as soon as we got to her house. I locked the door and rushed in after her into the living room.

The sight that greeted me was unusual; all the Harden brothers were gathered in the living room, including Trevor who was smoking joint. Travis sat on the sofa arm with a bottle of whiskey staring off. For the first time, the twins sat rubbing shoulders by the stairs, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

It wasn’t until Pokello fell to her knees by the sofa where Tyler was laid that I looked at him. He was still, unnaturally so, like he was holding his breath. His black t-shirt was damp by the chest region and his eyes looked like they had been forced closed. Travis took a swig from the bottle and I followed the movement to his mouth, noticing the red stain on his palm.

Pokello began sobbing or maybe she already had and they just got louder, I wasn’t sure. She gripped his torso and moaned into his stomach. She kept at it for five minutes and we all maintained our positions like she was carrying out a ritual we weren’t meant to disrupt. She slowly rose and walked to the stairs where the twins were seated.

Using all her might, she gave them a slap each.
‘That should have been you’. She hissed
‘Any of you!’ she grabbed them by their shirts and hauled them to their feet.
‘Are you happy now? You killed him’. She sobbed.
‘Is this what you wanted? To kill your own blood’.
Their sad, guilty face refused to meet hers.

‘Tell me, are you happy? Someone else took the fall for you so you should be. I told you to quit didn’t i? I warned you it was dangerous but your selfish, pompous asses wouldn’t listen!’
‘Look at him’. She pointed at Tyler. ‘He is dead’.
Trevor’s jaw clenched at the mention of that word
‘Dead. He can’t tease you anymore, get high or watch this year’s WrestleMania and it’s all because of you’.

‘Are you proud?’ she sounded tired
‘I wish you two would die’. She spat and grabbed their necks. I rushed to her since no one else was ready to do anything.
‘Let them go Kello’. I tried prying her hands off her brothers.

‘I want them dead’. She said through clenched teeth.
‘You don’t mean that. You are just hurting’.
She released her grip on them and resumed sobbing. She returned to the sofa and sat on the floor, leaning her head close to Tyler’s hand.
‘He is dead. Why did this happen to him? He never hurt anyone, he was the nicest one’.

I agreed with her, Tyler was my second favorite Harden sibling, he was always so bright and hearty without a care in the world. I didn’t like the way he teased me but I couldn’t imagine coming here and not seeing him doing something gross or hearing him call me bro but as much as I wanted it to not be true, he was dead, the only question I had now was; how?

‘Is anyone going to tell me what happened?’ I asked
They all remained the same; mummified and I thought I was going to have to force it out of them when Travis spoke.

‘It was some dude from the scorpion, at least that’s what Greg’s niggas think. They’ve been at war with the metals, Greg’s crew for months, mostly with him over some petty territorial shit and they wanted him out. The attack was for him but we four were together at the gull and when Tyler saw him pull out the gun, he took the bullet for our brother’.

He took another swig.
‘Chris and I chased him but he got away, all we know is that he had a brown leather jacket on’.
The room was quiet safe for Pokello’s sobs. I knew people died from gang feuds but Tyler was too innocent a casualty, he didn’t deserve to be collateral damage.

‘I just got word from my source on the inside’. Chris said rising from the stairs to join us.
‘Only one scorpion wears that jacket; some rich kid, daddy is a doc or so’. He spoke while still looking at his phone.
‘Did you get a name?’ Travis asked, he was getting drunk and angrier.

‘Yeah. Zayn… Rodriguez’.
My heart stopped.
‘What? That can’t be right’.
‘Zayn’. Pokello said. ‘He even had one of those jackets on today at the engagement’.
I couldn’t believe her.
‘Are you for real Kello? He was at the engagement, he couldn’t have done this’.

‘Really? Are you sure he didn’t sneak off while others were dancing? Went for a snack and maybe just shot some guy on his way back to the party?’
‘You are not thinking clearly now. He was there throughout, I saw him’.
‘Of course you did. Tyler is dead Meghan, I thought you said my brothers were yours too’.

‘They are but Zayn is…. Like a brother to me too’. I practically spat out the word.
‘Oh please Meg. You don’t fuck your brother’.
‘What?’ Travis was out of the chair in seconds.
‘You slept with the guy that killed my brother?’
‘Zayn is not a killer’. I felt his hand on my cheek like hot coal and tears brimmed not from the pain but the hurt that he’d raise his hand on me.

I looked up to meet his cold, red eyes.
‘Hit me all you want I will still say it; Zayn is not a killer’. His face contorted, I never thought he could look so ugly.
‘Well neither am I but I’m gonna change that’. He looked to Trevor who had been quiet as usual.
‘What do you say we make the mo’fucker bleed?’
Trevor took a drag from his stick

‘Kill him’. He mumbled but I couldn’t have heard it any louder. I watched Travis produce a gun from under his shirt and set it.
‘No, no! You can’t do that, he is innocent I swear’. Travis turned to me.
‘You can swear for him. Had there ever been a point where you could have done that for me?’

‘Is this about Tyler or us?’ he laughed bitterly.
‘This is for my brother and me’. He stormed out the door.
‘Travis!’ I rushed to Trevor. ‘You can’t let him do this. Zayn didn’t kill Tyler, he couldn’t have. There is a mistake somewhere’.
Talking to him was a waste of my time, I decided to follow Travis. As I rode out of their compound tailing him, I placed a call to Zayn.

‘Meghan’. He breathed, he hardly calls me that but I pushed it to the back of my mind.
‘Where are you?’
‘On my way home. Are you okay?’
‘Can you hurry up and not stop till you get there? Travis thinks you killed his brother. He is drunk and vengeful’.

‘Meg’.

‘Just get home please and stay in? Call the cops right now, I’m on my way’.
‘No Meg stay where you are’.
‘I need to be with you’.
He paused.
‘Okay’.

I turned my car around, relieved that Travis was going in the wrong direction and sped down to his house, my heart running a mile a second. He was leaned on his car by the driveway when I got there. I’m not sure I turned my car off before running into his arms. He held me tight and caressed my back.

I had a flashback to when he hugged me similarly at the hospital, I still don’t know why he did it but if this was how he felt then I think I understand.
‘I’m okay’. He said repeatedly but I couldn’t find it in me to let him go, I had a feeling that if I did, I’ll lose him, forever.

‘I’m scared’. I admitted.
‘Don’t be, I’m okay’.
I withdrew enough that I was looking at his face.
‘I didn’t do it’. He whispered quietly
‘I know’.

‘Are you two done?’ I turned around at the sound of Travis’ voice. He was no more than twenty feet from us. I had forgotten to instruct the guard not to open the gates for anyone.

‘Travis…’
‘I followed you. I knew you’d lead me to him. Now, let’s get down to business’.

He pulled out the gun.

--------------------------------------------------------------
It's pretty obvious but the end is nigh folks.... Say a prayer for us😔