Meghan- 39

Final chapter 😢

I owed June an apology.
Maybe she forced me to wear granny’s dress for her wedding but it was better than having to look like an over blossomed sunflower. We even had knee-highs on with some silly looking magicians’ hat. I seemed to be the only one who missed her bubbly pills coz my friends were rocking it with smiling faces.

Personally, I think my sisters used their weddings as excuses to embarrass me. Maybe on my day I will make it up to myself by appearing in ripped jeans and Jordans.

‘Will you stop frowning? You are making my booze lose its buzz’.
Pokello said from beside me, downing her fourth or fifth glass of whatever it is Stuart’s mom had served.
She had insisted on having the wedding reception at her house and Sue was more than happy to let her do all the screaming and organizing. She was currently destroying Malik on the dance floor since no one was going to let June dance. After the incident three months ago, she’s been promoted to icy egg of the family, she even sleeps with Mrs. Rodrigues now while Malik is stuck with his dad. No wanky time for baby daddy.

‘Give me one reason why I shouldn’t?’ I replied Pokello.
‘It’s your sister’s wedding’.
‘I thought we all established that I’m not a ceremonial person’.
‘Okay but what if I told you your sister’s mother-in-law was about to have a panic attack?’
‘What?’ My eyes began searching for Stuart’s mom.

‘Beside the peacocks’. I looked to where the peacocks were stationed.
She was sweating profusely, wiping it away with her sleeves and gasping for breath.
‘That is just gross’.
‘Okay. What if I told you Romeo just walked in?’
I smiled involuntarily.

‘Don’t call him that’. I looked toward the doors but he was already approaching us with Daniel, Newt and Jake behind him.
‘Hey babe’. He greeted as he got to us, pulling me in for a not so brief kiss.

‘It’s been three months, ain’t you two supposed to be out of the honeymoon phase by now?’ Newt commented as he took his place beside Pokello. I just gave him the middle finger.
‘Where are the others?’ Danny asked

‘Queenie is out back, puking in the exotic garden, Katie would be with her but we all warned her so she’s on her own. You can find Kate wherever the party is less… partyish’. Pokello supplied and Dan left to find Katie

‘Jake’. She rose her glass in acknowledgement.

They had sort of developed a relationship after Travis had been forced out of the closet before he was shipped off to compulsory rehab for a year.

Luckily for him, the gun he had used was licensed and mom let him off the attempted murder charges with the excuse of psychological trauma caused by the death of a loved one and excessive drug use, no one even knew he had been using.

My bullet wound had healed completely but mom still made me see a physiotherapist, good thing the basketball season was over because she’d have lost it if I refused to sit it out. I still play with Pokello though but she doesn’t know that.

‘Pokello’. Jake managed a small smile and a nod. ‘I’ll go get myself a drink or two. Anyone want anything’. We all declined
‘Let’s dance’. Pokello dragged Newt away. She was getting really drunk.

‘And then, there was just us’. Zayn said
‘Don’t even ask me to dance’.
‘One of those lessons I learnt early’.
I laughed
‘What else did you learn early?’
‘To never blackmail you, play drinking games, joke with your car or muffins’.

‘You’ve been paying attention. Good job Rodriguez’.
‘Oh, I demand payment’.
‘I ran out of cash’.
‘I take kind, kink too’. He smirked
‘Keep your monster caged cowboy’.