Meghan-19

Cover by: @namelessazre

We all sat Indian style facing Queenie. It was three in the morning and the alcohol was beginning to wear off. I had texted Katie and Pokello to join us at Queenie’s when they got back into town.

‘So, what are you going to do?’ Katie asked
‘Do you even have to ask? She is going to forget his conceited ass after we finish beating him up’. Pokello said with finality.
‘We are not beating anyone up’. Queenie rushed out.

‘You stay out of this, I am still pissed you didn’t tell us about it, we are supposed to be besties’. Pokello queried.
‘Again I’m sorry but no one is beating Andrew. He might be an ass but I still love him’. We all stared at her in horror.
‘I said the big L word’. She said more to herself.

‘And that is not good’. Katie stated
‘You think I don’t know that? I cannot be in love with my teacher’.
‘But here we are. Have you paused to think that maybe he also has insecurities that he needs you to clear up? This guy is like six years older than you and a high school teacher, it’s logical for him to think that you are with him only because you miss having a daddy figure in your life. Maybe you have to let him see that you love him for him’. I said not knowing where the words came from.

‘My best friend is in love with my geography teacher. I need to drink this news down’. Pokello said and downed the remnant of her drink.
‘I really don’t care what he does, I lo...like him for him. Thanks guys, really’. She flashed us all a bright smile threw her partially drunk self at us.
‘Okay, bedtime’. Katie said and dragged her to bed.

‘Meg, you find love in Travis and suddenly you’re a love doctor’. Katie teased, covering Queenie up and Kello cast me a look.
‘If you ladies will excuse me, I will be in the living room watching lame late night shows’. Kello said and walked out.
She has been a little off since she got here and I haven’t gotten the chance to question her.

After washing my face in the bathroom, I walked downstairs. Pokello was crouched into a ball on the couch watching a replay of Light as a Feather. I sat and leaned my head on her shoulder.
‘Are you okay?’ I asked
‘Yeah’. She drawled, eyes glued on the screen.
‘How was your date?’ I asked and she sighed.

‘I know what you are doing and it’s not going to work, I promised Newt I wouldn’t tell you’.
That piqued my interest.
‘And you promised me you won’t keep secrets’. I cornered her.
‘I know and that is why I’m telling you but you have to promise not to mention it to anyone, not even your mom’.

‘Is this about his mother?’ I asked, lifting my head from her shoulder.
‘Yes. She is in town and Newt says she’s been requesting custody of the girls and threatens to take it to court. Apparently, she found someone to marry her’.
‘She can’t do that. She can’t just come back and take the girls, she has no right’.
‘Calm down you are shouting’. Pokello said, eyeing the stairs.

‘Did Newt tell you what she did? She abandoned her husband, kids and family, her sister; my mother all for a younger guy that promised her the world. She had everything and she threw it away. The girls were only six when she left’.
‘He told me everything and I understand. Newt loves his sisters more than anything else in the world and so does his dad. They are looking for the best lawyer in case they have to go to court’.

‘I have to tell my mom about this’.
‘No Meg, you promised’.
‘But I can’t just stand by and do nothing. Mom would be mad if she found out I knew and didn’t say anything’.
‘I know but you have to let Newt’s dad do it at his own time, please’.
‘Okay’. I gave in, making a note to pay Uncle Sam a visit.

Later that night as we lay packed together on Queenie’s bed, I kept thinking of Uncle Sam, he had tried his possible best to stop Aunt Helen from leaving at least for the girls but she was blinded by luxury and the love of a younger man to think of anyone else. She turned her back on my mother, her older sister when she called her out on her selfish behavior.

I remember the day she left, it was the day she broke ties with every single one of us. Newt and I were ten years old and even as we didn’t talk much I knew that the absence of tears in his eyes was the birth of a hatred for his mother deep as an ocean that would never run dry.

He was a strong lad, that boy. Even as they bounced from one relative’s house to another, he never let his sisters miss their mother and I can’t remember the last time I heard him talk about her. If she wants the girls back, she is up against a beast created by his mother and fuelled by love for his sisters.

*

I got a text from mom the next morning requesting my presence at home so I snuck out of bed and got dressed, leaving the girls asleep. Daniel was running on the streets as I got to my car, it was around seven that Sunday morning. He saw me and waved, I waved back and waited for him to jog up to me.

‘Hi. Sorry I do not know your name, Katie introduced the others the other night but you weren’t there’. He said, flashing me a toothy grin that revealed pearl whites.
‘It’s Meghan’.
‘Okay Meghan. You guys had a girls’ night?’
‘It’s called a sleepover’.
‘Yeah, sorry’.

Three girls dressed in really short shorts and sports bra jogged past us, all wearing make up a little too much for the hour. They waved at Daniel and practically moaned out greetings. He waved back at them with his prominent smile.
‘Wow, Queenie wasn’t shitting at all. These bitches is desperate’. I stated and he laughed.

‘What are you talking about?’ He tried to play dumb.
‘I’m talking about how they all want to suck your dick. Didn’t you see them? Give it a week and they’ll be jogging in bra and spangled shorts’.
‘You are very forward’. He said, looking at me with amused eyes.
‘Katie is too’.

‘I wouldn’t know, she avoids me like the plague. I mean I just want a shot but she never takes me seriously’. He complained, looking frustrated.
‘Then shoe her how serious you are, you know she’s worth it’.
‘I know but how do I do that?’
‘I don’t know; take her on a real date? Try to get her to really listen to you?’

‘Are you low-key helping me?’ He asked, eyeing me with a small smile.
‘Low-key? Dude I’m rooting for you. At least a friend of mine has to have a boyfriend that bakes’.
‘I see, so this is about food’. He stated with an amused smile.

‘Most definitely. I have to get home, see you around? Or not, if you are too chicken to ask her out’.
He laughed.
‘I will make you proud. Bye Meghan and thanks’. He said, continuing on his run down the street.
My phone beeped and I got it out to read the text.

Queenie: Meghan Christina Summers. Are you trying to steal Katie’s boyfriend?

I looked up the window and there she stood, staring at me, eyes narrowed. I flipped her over before typing a reply, then I got into my car and rode off.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Special dedication to MillymoMoraa