Meghan-30

I didn’t like silence but I liked this one, it was the calm one that flows with the feeling of contentment and the joy of friendship.
‘It hurts’. Queenie whined. She was stretched out on the bed with a pillow probed below her waist and her legs lifted to fall on either sides of her neck.

‘The cramps or that freaky yoga shit you have going on?’ Pokello asked, sparing her a glance.
‘The yoga is supposed to help’. She defended.
‘Is it?’ Katie questioned, eyes glued to her phone.
‘Not anymore’. Queenie said and disengaged herself from that painful position.

‘Why does it hurt so much? Isn’t this thing supposed to be like a reminder of fertility? Why can’t it just last for an hour and be gone? I mean; I can get pregnant, I get it, bye’.
‘The horrors of being a woman’. Kello said lazily, stretching like a cat.

The doorbell sounded from downstairs. Mrs. Tanner had resumed work so we had to go down to get it.
‘I’ve got it’. I sprang up, eager to exercise my legs. I skipped downstairs and threw the door open.
‘Mr. Dawson!’ I failed to hide my surprise.
‘Andrew, Meghan. Please’.
‘Right. We weren’t expecting you’.
‘Well, Queenie told me about her.. condition and when I couldn’t find you girls in school, I figured it was serious so I brought snacks’. He raised up the package in his hand. The gesture was so sweet, I swooned on behalf of Queenie.

‘Come on in, we are upstairs’. He followed me up to Queenie’s room.
‘Well now, who do we have here? Mr. Dawson, sorry we don’t have our hall passes’. Pokello stated, loudly smacking her chewing gum.
Andrew chuckled
‘Consider yourselves pardoned today, only because you are taking care of my princess’.
I watched Queenie turn blood red as she rose to give him a hug. He frowned slightly.

‘Why do you look so flushed?’
‘Because having you womb contract every three seconds doesn’t make you fair and shiny’.
‘Hopefully, these will help’. He handed her the bag and she immediately emptied its contents on the bed. Boxes of chocolate and other snacks were scattered everywhere and she threw herself on them.

‘For once I love having my period. You are the best munchkin ever, baby’.
Katie coughed.
‘The rest of us here are still very much alive’. She said and Mr. Dawson glanced around.
‘I give it to you guys; its sweet and all to be here for your friend but you all didn’t have to skip school. She isn’t pregnant… yet’

Queenie choked on a chocolate covered espresso bean.
‘Mr. Dawson sir, can you not be a teacher for once and just be sweet Queenie’s beau?’ Kello said in the most annoying good girl voice that always landed her in more trouble than she deserved.
‘What can I say? It’s still school hours’.
He grabbed Queenie’s cheeks.

‘I have to get back. Call you after school?’ she nodded and he placed a small kiss on her lips, withdrew and gave her a deeper one.
‘Uhm, PDA much?’ I said
‘It’s my room bitch’. We all laughed at her pissed face as Andrew exited the room.
‘You guys are riding it steady then?’ Kello inquired
‘The barrier has long been broken’. I joked and a pillow landed on my face.

‘Ugh, I’m so hungry’. Katie groaned
‘Prince Dawson of Inkwell High didn’t think of anyone but his princessa’. Kello said in a mocking tone.
‘Jealous much?’ Queenie asked, munching on another bean.
‘I’ll get us milkshakes from Mc’. I said and got up. Staying indoors was fun but sometimes you miss the sun.
‘I want a beer’. Pokello yelled as I walked down the stairs
‘None coming right up’. I yelled back

Mrs. Tanner had her home washed clean of any form of alcohol since she decided to turn a new leaf. It hasn’t been easy for her but she is really pushing. The ride to the diner was short and airy and I felt a lot lighter when I got there. At the sound of the bell, a couple heads shot up to look at the new guest and I recognized one. He tensed a bit and averted his gaze, trying not to acknowledge me but it was difficult not to notice those broad shoulders shaking. I walked and stopped directly in front of him and he reluctantly raised his head up and pulled on a fake grin.

‘Hi. Meghan’.
‘Jake. What about me gives you the creeps?’
He arched a confused brow.
‘What…?’
‘Why do you always appear uncomfortable around me?’
‘I don’t’.
‘The entire diner reeks of your nervousness’.
He sighed and ran a hand across his face.

‘Is this about Katie? You know I will hound you for the rest of your life for hurting her. I might not be slamming you into lockers anymore but you are still on my blacklist’. He released a breath.
‘For how long am I going to have to apologize?’ he tiredly asked
‘Until I’m satisfied’.

‘Fine. I’m sorry’.
‘One down, 2.5 infinity more to go’.
I strode away from him to get doughnuts and milkshakes. He left before I was done, probably hurrying back to school before the lunch break was over.

Jake and I were never going to share warm hugs and pizza, hurting Katie cost him that but I thought we’d work out our differences eventually. That didn’t seem to be happening though, he always keeps a distance and it was no longer because of what went down with Kate. There was something else, something he prayed I never found out about and that made me even more curious.

My curiosity always felt like a stubborn rash, I didn’t feel comfortable until it had been scratched and I had a feeling that Jake’s little secret would be pretty interesting, that is why as I handed the milkshakes to my friends back at Queenie’s room, my eyes stayed on Katie. She was casually scrolling through her phone with a calm only she could have.

‘Katie. Can I get Cheetos from your place? Queen emptied her mom’s kitchen’. I said and Queenie glared at me through all the junk in her mouth.
Katie stared at me for a while then shrugged. In a minute, we were crossing the street to her house.
‘I don’t want Cheetos’. I said as soon as she closed the door behind her.
‘I know Meg, you hate them’. Shit

‘Right. So, I know we all have this silent agreement not to talk about it but I need to know what went down with you and Jake’.
‘Meghan. That happened like seasons ago and I promise you I’m over it. If this about Dan…’
‘No. This is about me’.
‘What do you mean?’
I let out a breath.
‘I feel like Jake has a secret, one he really doesn’t want me to find out about’.

‘That’s it? Jake has a secret and I’m sure he doesn’t want anyone to know about it’.
‘Why’s that?’ She sighed
‘The night I found out he was cheating on me?’
I nodded
‘It was with a guy’.

-------------------------------------------------------------
@syokaumutulu...  It's finally out
I'm sorry for the long wait, my system had a problem but it's fixed now.. Kind of
I have most of the chapters written down, battling with the last one, hopefully you guys can help me with it.

Who do y'all picture as Jake??