Meghan-23

Cover by Torieasy01

We were down by five points and I made it a point to not glance over at coach if I didn’t want to be murdered by eyes. My desire to win had flown away, leaving me with the digging need to make sense of everything in my life.

Queenie was sandwiched between Katie and Daniel. Typing away on her phone, probably battling those who had made it their duty to slut-shame her. Yesterday someone inked ‘whore’ onto her locker and she made the o into a blushing smiley.

Zayn had a frown etched onto his face from constantly trying to dodge the huge fan~board Gracie was holding that said; MEGHAN IS QUEEN #4. My eyes met with hers and she screamed what I made out to be: you can do it sis!

The bleachers were overcrowded and the cheers deafening, almost drowning out the screams of my teammates. Pokello was playing center while I was the small forward. We needed at least three goals, two if we could get them from behind the three point line.

I watched as Kello stole the ball from a dribbler making a fast break and throwing it into the hoop. Gracie shot up from her seat as our points increased by three. The time board said we had three minutes and we needed three more points. Kello ran up to me.

‘You’re tripping. Get your head in here!’ she yelled so I could hear her.
For some reason I looked up at the bleachers and my eyes met with Zayn’s. He smiled, not his usual cocky smirk but a nice smile that was highlighted by the setting sun reflecting on his blonde hair.

‘Meg!’ The power forward called and passed the ball to me. Catching it, I made a run for the hoop, dodging all attackers and taking the shot just a few feet from it. We were now at a draw with our opponents. They had the ball now and we had ninety seconds left when the whistle sounded indicating a foul, the girl had the ball in both hands and had resumed dribbling.

‘Summers! Take the shot!’ coach yelled and I grabbed the ball.

I saw Gracie say a prayer but everyone else looked unperturbed like it was a given that I’d make the shot but I wasn’t feeling as confident as usual. I was no longer the nonchalant Meghan Summers who has nothing to worry about. I had problems, I had fears and I was laden with expectations.

I was finally beginning to understand what June had said about responsibility and I knew I had to deliver so holding my breath, I took the shot and Zayn’s wide smile was the first to calm my worries. My teammates were on me as the whistle was blown.

The showers were empty, everyone had rushed to the party at Pokello’s. After the quick shower, I pulled on the denim shorts and white polo I had in my bag and exited the changing room. Gracie was on me as soon as I walked through the front door, she didn’t hold back with the hug now that I wasn’t a sweaty mess.

‘You were amazing out there’. She said as I walked her to Zayn’s car. He wasn’t there though.
‘I appreciate the hype but I almost got us killed out there’.
‘You guys won, which is all that matters’.
‘I heard there’s a party, Zayn said he isn’t going but we can give you a ride there since you didn’t come with your car’. She suggested.

‘It’s cool. I’m riding with Kello and Travis’. Just then I felt strong arm wrap around my waist.
‘You did great babe’. He whispered in my ear. ‘Did you see me cheering for you?’ I had completely forgotten he was at the game.
‘Tell mom I’m sleeping over at Kello’s’. I told Gracie.

‘You mean at Travis’, I would give you some mom advice but I’m feeling juvenile so have fun and don’t worry about a hangover, Travis will kiss it all better’. I rolled my eyes as the said human gave her a thumb up. Weirdos.