Zayn-36

'Zayn, I did it. I killed Tyler Harden'.
That was all it took to dampen my good mood.
I had been avoiding it but I didn't expect Seth to give the job to someone else. I thought I could sort things out without anyone having to die but now I wasn't sure this death was going to be the last.

One look at Meghan's face and I hated myself. I knew the connection she shared with the Hardens, she wouldn't take the news well.

'Zayn? What's going on?' This was bad
I took her hands in mine.
'Meghan...' I wanted to tell her I will fix things. I wanted her to know that I will protect her with everything I have, I wanted to tell her she'd consumed every part of me and I'd do right by her but I settled for an apology for screwing things up.

'I'm so sorry'.
I dashed off and placed a call to the first number on my call log. He picked on the first ring.

'Steve'. I said as I started up my car.
'I didn't want to do it but Seth had a gun to my mother's head and he was going to shoot'. He sounded out of breath.
'Where are you?'
'Hiding, the cops are here. They are going to get me but I need you to do something for me'.

*

They were all there. Every scorpion in town, some of who I had never seen before and all whose names I didn't know. I barged in.

'Nice of you to join us, Rodriguez'. Seth smiled.
'You can't blame me since the invitation wasn't extended to me'. I walked and stood before him.
'Why did you make Steve do it?' I questioned
'You made Steve do it. It was your job and since you refused, someone else had to do it'.

'If it was so important, why didn't you do it yourself? Or send one of your valued men? Because it was a suicide mission and you needed a scapegoat?'
Tattered took a step forward but Seth called him off.

'Do you know he got caught?'
'He is with the police which is better than being with the metals'.
'Which you would have preferred'. He shrugged
'You couldn't have held off for a while? I told you I was working on it, I was going to neutralize the threat'.
'I didn't want it neutralized, I needed it eliminated'. He said stiffly.

'Listen up you guys!' he addressed everyone. 'This place is going to be raided soon, Steve got sloppy and shot the wrong Harden but we will take care of that later. The metals already know we are responsible but we don't have to worry about them, since it wasn't their own they won't get involved but the Hardens and the cops are our problem. If Steve gives a statement, it might stir up a little fuss so we leave here and lay low. Watch your backs out in the streets too'.

We were dismissed. Someone had been murdered and all they cared about was that it was the wrong person. I watched them clear out then went to work. It didn't take me long and I was out of there in a couple minutes.

I was driving to the police station when Meghan's call came in and my heart clenched. She must have found out by now.
'Meghan'. I said calmly in other not to upset her more.
'Where are you?' She sounded alarmed so I lied.
'On my way home. Are you okay?'

'Can you hurry up and not stop till you get there? Travis thinks you killed his brother. He is drunk and vengeful'. She rushed out but I managed to make out what she had said. She was being paranoid, there was no reason for Travis to think that.
'Meg'.
'Just get home please and stay in? Call the cops now, I'm on my way'.

'No meg, stay where you are'. Being with me would endanger her even more.
'I need to be with you'. I understood that because I needed to be with her too, if anything, to ensure her safety.
'Okay'. I agreed and ended the call.

I rode home and waited for her outside. She consumed my thoughts and made me calm. In Meghan I had found an anchor again and I regretted not telling her that night when she had told me how she felt about me. I had been scared of what was happening now and she was still with Travis but Queenie said they broke up. We've been texting lately and she's cool, I understand why Meghan is friends with her.

Honestly, she has great friends, Pokello included, despite our differences.

The gates opened and she rode in. the tires squealed as she stepped on the brakes and got out. I straightened right before she ran into me. She was really shaken up and held me tight. I wasted no time in wrapping my hands around her.

'I'm okay'. I whispered into her hair but she held on even tighter.
'I'm okay Meg, I'm okay'. I kept whispering and stroking her back until she calmed a bit.
'I'm scared'. She confessed. Meghan wasn't the sort of person to own up to her fears so I understood a bit of how serious the situation was.

'Don't be. I'm okay'. I tried to convince her and for once it seemed to work because she looked me in the eyes and I saw it all; the hurt she felt at Tyler's death and the fear of losing me for whatever reason.
'I didn't do it'. I knew she didn't think I did but I needed to say it.
'I know'. She confirmed my thoughts.

'Are you two done?' Meghan turned swiftly at the sound of a new voice. I was so engrossed in what we had been doing I didn't see him walk through the gates. He looked wasted and pissed.
'Travis...' Meghan began saying but he cut her off.
'I followed you. I knew you'd lead me to him. Now let's get down to business'.

At the sight of the gun my senses perked up. Meghan had not been paranoid, Travis really did think I killed his brother.
I pulled Meghan behind me and faced him.

'Put the gun down Harden'. I tried to sound calm.
'You want me to put it down? You should have done that earlier'.
'I know you are grieving man but I didn't kill your brother'.
'Shut up, I saw you and you shit ass jacket. At least you can't deny banging my girlfriend'.

Meghan stepped out from behind me before I could stop her.
'For God's sake Travis, I am not your girlfriend you woman beater and that was way before we started dating'.
Woman beater? Had he been manhandling her?
'Did he hurt you?' I asked, I could feel my blood boiling.
'It's nothing'.

'But it is him though, the one you left me for. Right?'
Meghan's eyes fell to the ground. He scoffed.
'Well then'. He shrugged.

I saw him lift the gun again and point it at me. I heard the bang but didn't feel the pain until I saw Meghan crumble to the ground in front of me.

'Meghan?' Came his strangled cry.
I watched him run and kneel beside her as she coughed up blood. My body refused to move, it was like I was a spectator to what was happening.

'Zayn'. That got me into action. I knelt beside her.
'You'd take a bullet for him too?' I punched him square in the face, he fell behind and was roughed up by the guard who had finally gotten to the scene and retrieved the gun from him.

I lifted Meghan and placed her in the backseats of my car. Her mid-length dress was black but I could see the blood soaking up the seats. Her eyes were drooping.
'Hold on please. Don't close your eyes'.
I rushed and got into the driver's seat, speeding out of the compound.

Hold on for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Oh my babies😢