Instinct Pt. 1

After McKay and I talked about our problems, we both learned to forgive each other, and things may not be the same again but it's possible that eventually they could become better than they ever where. 

So, now we have landed on this brand new planet, and it looks deserted.

"Another great vacation getaway in the Pegasus galaxy." John states sarcastically."

"Where is everyone?" Teyla asks rhetorically.

Ronon decides to answer anyways "There's smoke from the chimneys. They're inside."

"Can't say I blame them there's nothing I hate more than a damp cold. " McKay interjects, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Let's check it out." I say.

Sheppard leads us into the building, that upon entering is clearly a tavern.

"Howdy, folks." The Lieutenant Colonel says as all the people turn and stares at us.

"Who are you?" The barkeep asks us.

"Alison." I say pointing to myself. "This is Sheppard, Teyla, Ronon and McKay." 

He follows my hands as I point to each person. "You from Ratira?" 

"No." Sheppard answers.

"From over the mountains, than?" The barkeep asks once more.

John shakes his head. "A little further."

Confusion passes his face for a single moment. "Huh. Then you've come a long way. You'll be in need of food and drink. Sit." He commands us.

We all go to an empty table and the barkeep approaches, while most continue what they were doing, and some are still interested in the people who have visited their home. 

"I have a bad feeling about this place." I whisper to Ronon.

He leans over, his lips nearly brushing my ear, causing me to hold in a shiver. "I feel it too."

When I finally tune back in to the conversation after calming down, the barkeep asks "You really don't know?"

"Callum." A man interrupts, then turns to Sheppard. "What's your business here?"

"No business, really." John quickly answers.

"We're just travelers." I add.

Looking at me he says, "Then you best keep traveling."

I give the team a nod and we all agree and begin to stand.

"Wait." The barkeep or Callum orders us. "Goran, you can't send them out there."

"They look like they can take care of themselves." The man, Goran rejects. "It may not even start tonight."

I look at John, and McKay and we all listen intently, confused about what they are talking about. "It's been three months. How much longer do you think it'll wait." 

After that Rod has clearly gave up trying to deduce what they are talking about. "Hi. What are you talking about?"

Goran looks at us straight in the eyes and simply answers. "The Daimos." 

"Never heard of it." Sheppard states.

"And it is, what, some kind of an animal, or..." McKay asks trying to get more information on this Daimos.

"It's a creature. It has the appearance of a man, but it can suck the very life from your bones. Leaves only a dead withered husk behind." 

With that description, we all look at each other realizing that he is talking about a Wraith.

"Sounds familiar." I say.

________________________________________

We all sit together again, as the barkeep brings us all something to drink.

"Look," Sheppard starts. "We know you're not used to dealing with strangers, but we may be able to help with the little problem you're having. We're used to dealing with this kind of thing." 

"We call them Wraith." Teyla adds.

"These are the creatures from the old stories? From the time of the cullings?" 

"So you have heard of them?" Rodney asks.

"Yes, but the histories of them are incomplete. They tell of great ships that descended from the sky, but there's no description of the Wraith themselves. Although, there were a few among us who guessed that Daimos might be one of them."

"Why?" Teyla inquires.

"Because it too, came from the sky." Goran then describes what had happened that day. "It was about ten years ago. A bright light appeared above the village, it crashed into the hills. We didn't know what it was, but people were terrified. " He began the story. "I went with some other men to investigate. We found the wreckage, a few wounded survivors. We didn't know what they were. So, we decided to to take no chances. We slaughtered them, burned the bodies."

"Wise decision." Ronon complements, I look at him knowing he has a hard time when it comes to talking about the wraith.

"Unfortunately we didn't get them all and although none of us saw it, evidently one of them survived. It took it's very first victim that very night. We tried to hunt it down, but we couldn't find it. It's been out there ever since. It feeds three, four times a year. Takes two or three people each time. Two years after the crash, it took my own son." Goran finishes looking somber.

"That's it? One Wraith, in the forest?" Ronon asks unimpressed.

"Yes." The man simply answers.

At that Ronon loads his weapon and stands. "I'll be done by morning."

"Whoa there dear! We're all go together, in the day time." I tell him standing in front of him, with a firm but gentle hand on his chest.

"You're really going to help us?" Callum asks.

"Well, like the man said, it's just one Wraith. It'd be downright un-neighborly if we didn't.

"In that case, drinks are on me." 

Ronon sits down, and I return to my previous spot. "Did you just call Ronon dear?" Sheppard asks.

"Shut up!"