Chapter 8

And here comes next chapter :P

---------------------------------------------------

"The art of a sincere and heartfelt apology is one of the greatest skills you will ever learn."
― Jeanette LeBlanc

I barely got any sleep that night, which was visible as I stared at my reflection in the bathroom mirror the next morning. There couldn't have been a bigger telltale than the deep shadows under my eyes. A dark, shouting voice and eyes as cold as the arctic sea had haunted my night and left me a restless mess. I'd tossed and turned, yet no position I'd tried could carry me to a calm night's sleep.

Just the mere thought of going to school and bumping into him sent this uncomfortable knot in my gut.

It didn't matter Joshua had told me James would apologize for his behavior. The look he'd given me yesterday didn't seem to come from a person who would regret his actions, less apologize for them.

With a heavy sigh, I headed downstairs. Even the smell of freshly made blueberry pancakes couldn't cheer me up.

Mom was standing by the stove but heard me as I entered the kitchen. "Good morning honey. Dad already left for work, but my shift starts later today so I'm making you some pancakes – oh, sweetie, you look pale!" Mom had finally turned around and taken notice of my appearance.

"Morning mom," I mumbled.

"Are you sick, honey? You look sick."

It was probably the most cowardice thing I would do in my life, but I just reeeaaally didn't want to have to deal with the King brothers today. "I do feel like I might have a fewer..."

"Oh, honey, then you better get back to bed. I'll call the school. You can eat some breakfast later."

"Thank you." I left the kitchen and headed back upstairs again.

Great, now I felt even worse lying to mom, when she was being so great about it. I rarely ever lied to them. Like mentioned before, we kept it honest. That way they trusted and respected me.

Fucking James for destroying that!

I was feeling really down when something hit me. Maybe, if I did all my school work this weekend, it would somewhat make up for this lie. Yeah, that's what I will do!

I landed on my bed with a heavy sigh and before I knew it, sleep finally overtook my body.

It was well past ten before I woke up again. But it didn't seem to matter that I had now gotten a couple of hours of sleep, I still felt exhausted.

With a loud groan, I reached for my phone.

My eyebrows rose in confusion as I looked at the screen. I scrolled through the notifications, realizing I had over ten missed calls and 12 new messages. Most were from my friends, but one missed call and three texts were from Joshua. What could he want?

I opened the messages and read his.

From Joshua: Hi, culd we talk? Bfore school starts? I can meet u in the parking lot.

From Joshua: Hi again, neither of your friends have seen u in school. U're not coming today?

From Joshua: Are u home sick? Pls reply.

My stomach clenched uncomfortably. I looked at the time of the messages and realized he'd sent me those three texts within two hours.

I locked my phone and turned around in bed, ready for some more sleep after all.