Chapter 18

"I looked at him like a stranger, someone I'd never seen before, and he looked at me like I'd been lost to him for a thousand years and finally found."
― Emme Rollins

I spent the better part of the first hour in the kitchen, laughing, goofing around with my friends, but more importantly, drinking.

I was on my fourth cup and in a lively conversation with Joshua when a mop of brown hair walked past the door to the kitchen and caught my attention.

My heart skipped a beat as I squinted my eyes, trying to get a better look. But the person had already passed the door.

Had it been him? Was James actually here?

I glanced over at Joshua, who was still going on about some old memory of him and his brother playing a round of Mario. I supposed this was my opportunity. Did I have the balls to ask him?

"And so, he ended up breaking the remote-control in the process," Joshua explained with a chuckle.

Oh, he was done? I forced out a laugh. "So..."

Fuck, was I going to chicken out?

Joshua looked at me expectantly. "Hm?"

I scratched the back of my head. "It would have been fun to see his face right now. Too bad he isn't here." That was quite the good save, right? Right?

Please don't let Joshua see right through me!

"Oh, he's here," Joshua glanced over his shoulder, "somewhere. Last time I saw him, he was on the dancefloor."

"Oh." Could one person hear another person's heartbeat? I hoped not. I'd prefer Joshua not hearing mine race away.

"Yep," Joshua said, popping the p before taking a chug from his red cup.

I tried taking a chug from my own beer, only to realize it was empty.

Joshua chuckled. "Need a refill?"

Is my name Liam Williams?

"It sure is," Joshua laughed.

I looked at him in surprise. "Did I say that out loud?"

"You sure did," he chuckled. "Here, let me." He took my cup and left for the keg, leaving me to ponder the recent news.

So James was here, after all.

Was it him I'd seen? How come he hadn't been in the kitchen once, since I'd arrived? Should I go look for him? The mere thought of doing so sent chills down my spine. What would happen if I did?

He'd been keeping his distance from me lately; would he reject me if I were to reach out to him? More importantly, what would happen if he didn't reject me? What would happen if he did the contrary? Goosebumps erupted on my arms, a shudder running through my body, my member stirring with anticipation.

Wow, I was on fire tonight! It seemed like he didn't even have to kiss me any longer to have this effect on me.

But the question still remained. Should I avoid the temptation, or embrace it? My brain screamed for the latter, and I was just about to follow its demanding voice when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Here," Joshua appeared in my vision, handing me my red cup.

"Thanks man. I'm sorry, but I need to use the bathroom." I explained and glanced longingly at the door. At what might be on the other side.

"Of course, see you later, man."

I didn't need any more encouragement. Within seconds I'd left the kitchen and was standing in one of the living rooms, a.k.a. one of the temporary dance floors. I gazed over the ocean of people, dancing to the beat of the music, searching for that brown mop of hair.