Chapter 12

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you."

- Roger Ebert

The sound of Eminem's song Lose yourself slowly penetrated my sleep and made me turn around in bed. The sound got louder as the magical sleep slipped further and further away. I sighed blissfully when the music stopped... but cursed out loud when it started up again.

I blindly searched for my phone on the nightstand. Finding it, I answered the call and dragged it to my ear. "What?!" I barked.

"For how many more years am I going to have to be greeted like this on Sunday mornings? It's getting kind of tiring," Luke complained.

"Bite me," I muttered.

"Dude, that phrase is like, so last century... archaic even. No one says that anymore," he retorted.

I flipped him the bird, only to remember he couldn't see me. "What do you want?" I asked instead.

"Mostly just to check how you're feeling, considering what happened last night?"

Suddenly I was wide awake. My eyes flew open and I scrambled into a sitting position. The memories from yesterday came rushing back, making me feel dizzy and sick all over again.

"Dude, you still there?" Luke's faint voice questioned.

I looked at my hand and realized it no longer held the phone. Searching around, I found it next to my pillow.

I picked it up, my fingers trembling as I brought the phone back to my ear. Did he know what'd happened last night? My memory was kind of fuzzy. Except from one part. One part of the evening I remembered all to clearly.

"Yeah," I flinched at how out of breath my voice sounded and cleared my throat. "Yeah, I'm right here..."

Did I dare ask? What the fuck would I do if they knew? What if everyone knew!?

I made myself ready to run to the bathroom, knowing I would get sick if the worst case scenario had come true. But I had to find out.

"What do mean last night? What happened?" I scarcely dared to speak, less breathe.

"What do you mean, what do you mean what happened? Dude you puked like a fucking fountain last night!"

It felt like I'd been close to a heart attack. Really close. But suddenly my heart could beat again. I could breathe again.

Luke would've mentioned first thing if he'd heard about James and me... kiss – I could barely think the word – so, this must mean he hadn't.

"Oh, that... yeah, I guess I drank a bit too much yesterday," I mumbled absentmindedly, still consumed with feeling so fucking relieved. Imagine them actually knowing. Jeez!

"A bit?" Luke snorted. "Dude, you were worse than Mount Vesuvius! I had to walk you home, remember? It's lucky both your parents had already gone to bed. They would not have liked seeing you like that."

The balls of this guy! He never learned, did he?

"Yeah well, remember when you woke up in your own vomit? At least I have the curtesy to puke outside the house, and not in someone's bedroom," I retorted pointedly.

"I've already apologized for that! Like, a million times!"

I bit my lip to keep from smiling. I knew he had. I just loved to rub it in his face whenever he got too cocky.