Chapter 9

"The rate at which a person can mature is directly proportional to the embarrassment he can tolerate."

- Douglas Engelbart

The week went by without much happenings. It almost felt like things went back to normal. Dare I say ordinary and boring?

I sat through all my classes, ate with my friends – sometimes the whole gang – during all the lunches, and I did my best during both football practices. We were all getting more and more eager for the upcoming game, which was on Friday, three weeks from now.

The only thing that separated this week from any other week I'd had before the King brothers moved back into town, were Joshua's persistent closeness. It'd also felt like he'd gotten bolder, always sitting right next to me during lunch. Always trying to gain my attention in different ways. Trying to make us all hang out together. Luckily, we were all kind of busy this week and could reject his proposals without feeling guilty.

But there was also one other thing that'd become more of a bother. And it was the fact that whenever I was in the same area as James, he seemed to be staring at me. And I seemed to be unable to look away whenever our eyes locked.

It was creepy. And weird. And it always left me feeling... strange.

But I did keep my promise and avoided him like the plague, something I managed to uphold... that is, until Friday sprung up on us...

As lunch arrived I went to the cafeteria, paid for lunch and headed over to my friends at the bigger table – with the rest of the jocks and cheerleaders – that we'd decided to sit with today. I sat down in one of the empty seats and noticed too late it was next to Veronica.

"Hi Liam!" She chirped, batting her lashes and obviously thinking my seating arrangement had been on purpose.

I groaned inwardly. Outwardly I gave her a polite nod.

I had broken off with her for real last time, I truly had. However, she didn't quite seem to have gotten that message. Why wasn't I more observant of my surroundings?! I guess I'd been so occupied with avoiding James that I'd forgotten the other people I needed to watch out for.

"How are you? I miss you babe," She continued, lightly brushing her left boob against my arm, making it seem like it wasn't on purpose, even though we all knew it was. From my peripheral vision, I saw Sabrina roll her eyes.

For once, I however, actually wished Veronica would make me hard. Then, I would no longer have to worry about my current problem... the not-getting-hard-by-girls-any-longer part. But just like these past couple of months, I didn't feel a single thing down there. Not even a stir.

"I'm fine, Veronica." I sighed, not in the mood to enter that conversation.

"You guys starting to feel ready for the next game?" Dave interrupted, saving my ass from having to talk to Veronica.

"Hell yeah!" I smiled and started on my hamburger, ignoring the irritated look Veronica shot Dave.

"I can't wait to kick some ass. Man, I am so excited about the game!" Luke exclaimed.

"You do know it's still three weeks until the game, right?" Mike, another jock, and friend, smirked.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Luke grumbled.

"I've always admired guys who play football. It's not an easy sport to handle," Joshua, who'd apparently already been introduced to the rest of my buds, added his two cents. He was only staring at me while saying this.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, whishing he'd stop staring. Apparently, I wasn't the only one to notice this.

"You do know he's straight, right?" Veronica cut in, getting straight to the point, literally.