Chapter 17

"Small shifts in your thinking, and small changes in your energy, can lead to massive alterations of your end result."

- Kevin Michel

The last couple of days stress made me oversleep and I had to hurry so I wouldn't be late for school. I quickly got my stuff from the locker and headed to my first class, the halls were basically empty.

"You're late Mr. Williams," the teacher declared as I entered the classroom.

"I'm sorry Mr. Anderson. I'll try not to let it happen again," I replied and took a seat in the back.

"Good," the teacher said and continued the lecture.

I quickly scribbled down what he'd written on the board, at least trying to appear like a good student. Besides, it was a nice break from my other thoughts.

As time passed by, so did the lectures, and soon enough it was lunch again. I felt the acceleration of my heartbeat as I walked into the cafeteria and spotted my friends.

An uncomfortable feeling washed over me when I didn't spot him at our table for yet another day. Was this how it would be from now on?

Sighing internally, I went over to the table and greeted my friends. They'd decided yet again sit to with the other jocks and cheerleaders. Fine by me. Then maybe I wouldn't be disturbed by anyone as much.

Oh, who had I been kidding. Of course they all greeted me, and each and every fucking guy wanted to do fist bumps, making it seem like they hadn't seen me all day, even though I'd bumped into most of them in and between classes.

Whatever.

After what felt like forever, I was able to sit down and start in on my food.

I made sure not to have anyone's attention as I quickly let my gaze sweep over the table James had been sitting by the last two days. Low and behold. For yet a third day he was once again sitting there, playing with his phone.

I couldn't help it, my eyes got a will of their own as they swept over his body. He was wearing a black adidas cap, a black shirt that strained over his defined chest, a pair of dark, ripped jeans, matched together with a pair of black sneakers.

I scratched my chest and looked away.

"So, man, you need any help to prepare for the party?" I asked Luke, who was sitting opposite me.

Luke shook his head while munching on his sandwich. "Nah, it's fine. I'll let the servants take care of that."

"Right..."

I glanced over at Joshua, who was currently in a lively conversation with Bianca.

He seemed to have adapted to our group nicely and was fitting in with us well. He also hadn't tried anything with me since James had had a talk with him.

I wanted to ask Joshua if he knew whether or not James would be at the party.

My gaze swept over to James table again, just to have my heart jump into my throat.

For the briefest of seconds, James gaze locked with mine and a strong surge went through my body and landed in my chest. One sentence entered my thoughts as I stared at the one person that'd been occupying my mind as of late.

Do you miss me too?

For the briefest of seconds, his eyes seemed to flash, revealing the tiniest glimpse of emotions before he looked away and smiled at the three girls that once again sat down with him for lunch.