Chapter 28

Hi! Okay, so, I'll post two chapters today. They are on the shorter end, but I figured two short chapters are better than none (I hope) :P

Hope you guys enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was a bundle of nerves when Monday arrived and I was back in school. Fuck, I'd even say I was feeling giddy.

But as always, I didn't see James during or in between any of the morning classes. Which was a good thing, I guessed. I still hadn't figured out how I should behave around him amongst my friends. And I didn't know how he would behave around me.

Judging from everything that'd happened lately, I was pretty sure we wouldn't let anyone know we were kind of hanging out, but should we act like friends or what?

I did receive a text from him during math, where he'd written that he couldn't wait to see me. Even though I felt the same, my questions and nerves remained. They increased tenfold when lunch came along, and I spotted my friends. Luckily, they'd decided for the smaller table today.

Bianca was banging her head against the table as I reached them, grumbling nonsense words.

I sent my friends a questioning look. "What's up with her?"

Sabrina patted Bianca's back. "She flunked the algebra test."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Mrs. Johnson said she'll risk failing the class if she doesn't pass the re-exam." Sabrina continued.

"I'm doomed," was the miserable response from Bianca. "I knew I shouldn't have skipped my prayers last Thursday."

"I can help you study for it if you want. Algebra is my forte."

Bianca's head shot up and her hopeful eyes landed on me. "Really? You'd do that?"

I sent her a comforting smile. "Of course. But it'd have to be after my football practice."

"I'll take anything! I really can't afford to fail math. Oh, thank you Liam, thank you, thank you, thank you!" She went over to me and flung her arms around me in a tight embrace. "You're the best!"

"Of course I'll help out a friend in need," I chuckled, patting her back.

"Well, this certainly seems interesting."

A shudder went through my body. That voice. Growing so used to it these past couple of days, I could pick it out of any line, anytime. But it didn't exactly sound like its usual, confident self. In fact, it sounded kind of off. Cold. Not happy.

Shit...

I looked over Bianca's shoulder and my eyes landed on the most gorgeous person I knew. James. His intense stare told me everything I needed to know.

I offered a small smile.

He didn't return it.

"Bianca is failing math and I just offered to help her study for her test," I quickly explained as I gently pushed Bianca away from me.

"Liam's really the best," Bianca intervened as she went back to her seat.

James kept standing there, next to the table, but didn't say anything else.

Joshua cleared his throat, making James head snap in his direction. "Well, that's nice of you, Liam." Joshua offered and sat down on a vacant chair.

James followed suit. The seat next to me was empty, but James didn't go for that one. I tried not to let it bother me. He probably doesn't want to draw unnecessary attention, I told myself while scratching my chest.