Chapter 27

And here's the next chapter :)

----------------------------------------------------------

"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

― Aldous Huxley

The rest of Saturday went by slowly. It felt like the minutes were purposefully dragging themselves by, sniggering at me with each passing second.

I did manage to pass some time texting with my friends and talking with Luke on the phone. I mostly held onto my phone just in case I'd get a call from an unknown number, or a text. Any of those would have sufficed.

But nothing came.

In order to try to keep myself occupied, I even agreed to watch a movie with mom and dad.

"Stop a minute," mom intervened, pointing a warning finger at me. I stopped mid movement, just as I was about to sit down on the couch. "The armchair for you, mister."

I gave her an incredulous look. She'd already taken the cladder to the drycleaners, and they looked as good as knew, but apparently, she wasn't going to let me live that one down.

I grumbled under my breath but did as told, earning a chuckle from dad as he sat down next to mom on the newly washed couch.

Just as they started some old movie, my phone chimed. I fished it out of my pocket and glanced at the text. It was from an unknown number, but as I read it, I instantly knew who it was from. My heart squeezed as I re-read the text.

From Unknown: Everything is fine. Can't really talk right now, but I'll see you tomorrow at the soccer game. Miss you

"Got anything interesting there?" Mom's voice made me snap out of my dreamlike state and I quickly put the phone away.

"Nothing," I smiled. "Nothing."

***

It felt like an eternity, but eventually Sunday did arrive. I went to the park at two o'clock. I couldn't wait any longer. Of course, no one was there when I arrived, and so I juggled with the ball, trying to pass time.

"fifty eight, fifty nine, sixty," I counted my kick-ups, "sixty one –"

"I know you're athletic and all, but that's just showing off."

The sound of that voice made me lose focus and the ball landed on the grass with a soft thud.

I looked up and came eye to eye with the most gorgeous emerald green eyes. My heart skipped a beat and breathing suddenly seemed difficult. Had he always been that hot?

I smiled at him.

He smiled back.

All I wanted in that moment, was to run up to him and kiss the living shit out of that gorgeous face. My hands balled into fists.

"Hi," I breathed.

"Hi," he said back.

"Jesus, didn't you guys just fuck, like, yesterday," a voice exclaimed.

My head snapped in the direction of the sound, only to be greeted with a smirking Joshua. I hadn't even noticed him.

I quickly glanced around us, worried someone might have overheard him. The football field was empty, except for the three of us. I returned my focus to Joshua, offering him a tentative greeting.

He walked up to me and patted my shoulder. "Don't worry, man. Your secret is safe with me, for as long as you guys want to keep it a secret."

I exhaled deeply, relief flooding through me. "Thank you, man, you have no idea how much that means to me."