48.

Roman's POV

Okay, I can't find her. I thought to myself. She doesn't come up on the systems. It's like she doesn't exist after our marriage.

Rachael blew a gasket after Grace left and told me not to worry about dinner and stormed off, thankfully. Well, if I knew that was a way to get rid of Rachael, I would have dragged Grace in sooner.

It was getting late in the afternoon and I've had no luck. Even my 'hacker' can't find her.

So I did the next best thing. I got Hope's number and rang her, ready for an earful.

I know Hope will defend Grace, no matter what. So she will defend her again.

"Hello?" She answered.

I took a breathe then spoke. "Hope, it's Roman."

Hope didn't talk for a while. I heard some background noise and then she sighed. "What?"

"Well, I was hoping you could tell me where Grace is."

"Oh, really? Why would I do that?" She bit out.

I groaned as I pinched the bridge of my nose with me free hand. "She came in this afternoon, I'm assuming it had to be important otherwise she wouldn't have. But she left before she said anything and I can't find her."

Hope scoffed. "Yeah it was important. It doesn't matter now. She has made her mind up. Besides, you can't keep playing with her emotions! Do you know how long it took for her to get over you? Months!"

"She wasn't the only one upset about this." I growled out to Hope.

"I don't care for your side of the story. For months, Dean and I helped pick up the pieces. She wouldn't even go near Macy, her best friend! You weren't there, you didn't see her! She was a fucking mess! But yet, you played with her again! Why do you think she cut her holiday short? You. I can't keep being there for her every time you walk in then out off her life!"

Hope kept going and I tried to cut her off but she kept talking, her voice getting louder.

"She grieved, Roman. For you, her marriage, even the baby."

Then I scoffed. "I'm sure she did." Then I remembered the colourful tattoo on her shoulder blade.

Hope sighed and went quiet before she spoke again. "Grace grieved over the baby." She repeated. "She has a tattoo of the name on her. A non grieving would be mother doesn't do that. She cried herself to sleep for weeks. She lost alot of weight as well. How you saw her the other month is a fat version to how skinny she went. Did you know she wanted the baby? No, you didn't. You were too busy blaming her for losing it."

"But -" I tried again.

"No. Unless she comes to you, stay away, Roman." Then the phone went dead.

****

I couldn't get it out off my head. I knew Grace wouldn't have shown up if it wasn't important. But Hope's words borred in to me.

I didn't know Grace wanted the baby. Yes, I blamed her, for a long time. But it was my fault too. I wanted to take her to the doctors when we got back from that hiking trip and I never did. They could have picked up on something. If I took her to the doctors, the outcome may have been different.

The weekend was long and boring and I kept my head down, doing work. My business has boomed threefold and I wanted to keep myself busy in my work.

I had no reason to do anything else. I didn't hear a word from Rachael all weekend and I knew she would be back soon. But I also hoped that she wouldn't be. I'm losing my patience with her. I've broken it off that many times now, she just doesn't get it.