64.

Roman's POV

"How's the baby?" She cried out, trying to get out off the bed.

"Lay down." I soothed her. "You're fine. Baby is fine."

I had nothing but admiration for Grace right now. "What you did, you saved the baby." Grace blinked at me.

"So the baby is okay?" She asked again and I nodded with a smile.

Leaning down, I kissed her forehead. "Perfectly fine. You both are." She did scare me earlier, when Dr Loughty came out. She did all she could for the baby, but her expertise was neonatal and prenatal. Baby was in distress.

"You have some very eager visitors." I told her. "I'll let you be with them." I got up and opened the door to see every one waiting.

I gave them privacy as I walked down to the waiting room where a coffee station was set up.

I made myself a bleak coffee and sat next to Kaden.

He was partially asleep with a baby asleep on him, holding the small child tightly.

"How is she?" Kaden asked softly.

"She is awake." I told him.

"That's good."

That was all that we discussed as I sat back, running a hand down my face.

I don't know how long I sat there for, or the amount of laps I did in the waiting room, pacing.

Macy came in and left with Kaden and their children. Time felt so slow. I nearly lost her. I nearly lost them both. For good.

She is my strength and I'm lost, utterly and completely without her.

"Roman?" I heard someone call out and I looked up.

Hope stood by the door, looking concerned.

"We are leaving now. Grace is calling for you."

I gave her a tight nod.

I got next to Hope before she stopped me. "Get her something to eat. The food here is gross."

So I did that. I went to a drive thru, I got her thickshake and French fries and drove back, hoping nothing had happened while I was gone.

I got to her room to see Grace, asleep. Her hands were resting on her stomach, some hair over her face as she let out her tiny snores.

I gently placed the bag and drink on the table and sat on the chair closest to her, resting my hands on the bed.

What happened played in my mind on repeat every time I closed my eyes.

I laid my head down on top of my hands and cried.

I've only cried a handful of times. When I broke my arm, when mum died, then dad. When we lost the baby, when Grace left. And now.

Grace means the world to me. She is my world. I felt a hand run through my hair and looked up, to see her beautiful wide smile at me.

"We're okay." She whispered to me.
I watched as she tried to move over, patting her hand on to the spot next to her.

I climbed on to the bed and held her. It was awkward and uncomfortable and I didn't care. I have her in my arms and that's all I want.

****

"Roman." I felt the nudge. "Roman." Then again.

"What?" I mumbled to her.

"You're hurting me." She whispered and I opened my eyes.