Chapter Four

My driver pulls up to the curb down the road from the club and parks the town car. Turning around in his seat, he looks at me through his oversized eyeglasses. I can't help but think he looks more like someone's grandfather than a chauffeur. But that's one of the things I like about him, he gives off a comforting vibe. I don't often use chauffeur services, only for special events mainly, but tonight I decide to call him up in case I'd be drinking or needed a quick get-away.

He asks, "You sure you don't want me to drop you off at the entrance Miss Arden?"

"I'm sure David, thank you."

"No security tonight?" he notices.

And of course he would. I almost always have my bodyguard Murphy with me. And if he knew I was going to a club unprotected he would probably have a heart attack. Which is why he won't find out about this. 

"I'm meeting friends." I shrug. But to ease his worry I assure him, "I'll be fine."

With that, he exits the car to come open my door, something I've told him countless times he doesn't have to do but he does anyways. He once told me that after twenty-five years of chauffeuring, opening the door for the passenger would be a difficult habit to kick and I should just get used to it. I probably won't get used to it- a lot in this new life style is still hard to get used to- but I at least won't give him a hard time about it.

"I'll be close by." He tells me, tugging at his suit jacket, "Call when you're ready and I"ll pick you up at the entrance." 

I smile and thank him again, then make my way towards the club.

There are people lined up on the sidewalk outside as I walk towards the Whiskey A Go Go. I cross the busy street, taking in the lights and posters advertising bands scattered across the colorful building. The marquee sign is lit up with the names of tonight's performers, including Eminem. Seeing his name brings a smile to my face. Still to this day, seeing my own name in bright lights is completely surreal and exciting. I'm sure he feels the same.

I go directly to the front of the line and tell the bouncer my name, remembering what Marshall told me earlier today about being on his list. The large man looks me over, instant recognition on his face, and quickly finds my name on his clipboard. After showing him my ID to verify my age, the bouncer stamps my hand with the letters WAGG in red ink and allows me entrance.

One thing Marshall was right about was I don't do this. I don't go clubbing or go out to the bars much. Me "going out" is usually for awards shows, events or celebrations. The few times I've been to a bar or a club, were with Daniel. But they never ending up being fun experiences, with him flirting with other woman or getting drunk and acting like I don't exist. And my label hasn't let me do much else, wanting me to have a clean image.

Deciding what to wear to come here was hard, but I figured I couldn't go wrong wearing black. So I wore a black halter crop top and matched it with black jeans with laces up the front. I left my light brown hair down in it's natural waves, and I wore a layered necklace and my favorite hoop earrings. To finish the outfit, I added a pair of black heeled boots to give me some height.

There are lots of people here, but I don't hear anyone on the stage yet. Just some music playing over the speakers. Hopefully that means Marshall hasn't gone on yet.

It's smaller than I thought it was on the outside, but still a good sized venue. Down a small set of stairs near me is where most of the crowd has converged in the standing room only section in front of the stage. Behind me there is a wall of red leather booths already filled with patrons. I spot a decent sized bar in the corner, and wonder if I have time for a drink before Marshall is on.